Please help with my pip query — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Please help with my pip query

Options
piphelp
piphelp Community member Posts: 19 Connected
Long time ago I was on DLA and when it moved to pip it was rejected and I was too scared to appeal as I didn’t want to go to court as I never left the house 
I’m not feeling ready to apply and I wondered if they look at my old DLA claim or my old pip claim? I was in a bad way back then and it was all filled out by my support worker so if they will also look at that and use that I want to know what it said. 

Do they look at okd pip and DLA claims and if so is there a way for me to get a copy? 

Please help me inderstand 

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome, first of all how long ago was the old claim.

You normally have 1 month to put in a mandatory reconsideration or this can be extended to 13 months if a good reason

Also PIP and DLA are very different benefits and have different criteria to be eligible, I would suggest you look over teh descriptors and see where you think you should score points and if you think you qualify then apply.

You can request a home visit for the assessment and also the MR is in writing and if this fails tribunal but again you can request a peper based or phone tribunal

Hope this helps if not get back and we can try and help
  • piphelp
    Options
    Thanku I am much too late to appeal I know that, it was be a new claim. I know they are very different and have readed the descriptors many times, I know where I should may be get points

But I don’t know if they look at my old DLA claim or unsuccessful pip claim or if it is ignored? 

If they are going to look at them is there a way I can get a copy?
  • katho31
    katho31 Posts: 692 Pioneering
    Options
    hi @pihelp, welcome  :) someone will reply shortly and we can try to help you. bear with us thanks
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi again they may look at your file if you have claimed before but will mainly go on the new claim as there could have been lots if changed

Failing a claim b4 doesn't influence a new claim 

I dont know how long they keep copies of old reports but you can ring DWP to ask and request copy 
  • piphelp
    Options
    Thankyou all.
    I tried for help advice but I can’t use the phone or leave the house so no where can offer it.

My main worry is evidence as I don’t engage with my doctors so unless hundreds of cancelled appointments or no shows counts I have nothing recent haha

It’s ok I will try anyway on my own. If I showed what I am writing for my answers on here is that ok? So someone can tell if I am on the right track.
  • Lulu_1949
    Lulu_1949 Community member Posts: 236 Pioneering
    Options
    @piphelp I am sure there will be an abundance of help n here for you. X
  • Adora858
    Adora858 Community member Posts: 26 Courageous
    Options
    @piphelp Hi there, I also couldn't get much evidence for the same reasons as you, but I was advised to include a diary of a day, so I put that as part of my evidence (I also included a couple of older reports from health professionals, though I don't think they were great evidence due to being so out of date). Perhaps you could think about keeping a diary of how your conditions affect you throughout the day? 
  • piphelp
    Options
    Thanku lulu I hope so

adora was your pip claim successful? I don’t know how much use a diary will be for me but I will try some notes and see 

It feels like try and stop you at every hurdle I can’t believe to even get the forms you have to call. I got a friend I know online to call them today and pretend to be me to ask for forms as it was the only way I could do it. This is going to be a very hard process isn’t it?

I am so scared
  • Lulu_1949
    Options
    @piphelpbdont be scared luvvy, deep breaths....best to do a diary, write down every difficulty you come across , and how it effected you. If you note things down you don’t have to keep it all in your head xx
  • Adora858
    Options
    @piphelp I know exactly how you feel. They say online that you can get someone else to call up for you, but when my husband did that they still demanded to speak to me for half of the conversation, which was very difficult and scary for me.

I don't know yet if my PIP claim will be successful - I've got my telephone assessment tomorrow morning, but I can let you know when I get a decision. 

I know it's really scary and overwhelming, to be honest I'm terrified for tomorrow. But I have to hope that the right thing will happen in the end, and I'm sure it will for you too :) Luckily, it seems they care more about how you are affected in your day to day life, rather than any official conditions/diagnosis, so I hope this gives you some hope for your claim. And of course if you need any advice the people on here are lovely. 
  • Lulu_1949
    Options
    @Adora858 good luck for tomorrow xx
  • Adora858
    Options
  • Lou67
    Lou67 Community member Posts: 7,141 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hope everything goes well for you tomorrow Adora858 fingers crossed for you ?
  • piphelp
    Options
    That is so helpful and reassuring to know thanku for taking the time to write it all.

I’ve been reading the form online and know already what I will write for most questions and some examples. Is it possible to write too much? 

Also does anyone know if the dressing includes the mental aspect of it. What I mean by this is: I physically and mentally know how to dress and am capable of dressing, but I can’t actually manage it. I don’t know why, I can’t explain what causes it, but for example (and sorry for how disgusting it is) but I’ve worn the same nightdress day and night for the past 2 maybe 3 weeks. The last time I changed was when my daughter commented and nagged me into bathing. I don’t set out to be so disgusting and I always plan to change or bathe but never quite manage it without prompting or being guilted into it. 

Is this even a thing or is this category for those that need physical help changing their clothes? 
  • Adora858
    Options
    @piphelp mental conditions count too, or at least that's what I've been advised :) 
  • piphelp
    Options
    Thanks adora and good luck tomorrow. Will you tell me about your assessment? 

I was wondering if it’s possible to say I can’t have an assessment until they are able to do home visits again? I can’t have a telephone one 

mikehughescq thankyou for the link I am working on my question answers before the form comes. If I wrote a couple here are people able to tell if I am on the right path or is that a bad idea? 

I tend to go off on a tangent and feedback is always helpful 
  • Adora858
    Options
    @piphelp I'd be happy to tell you how my assessment goes. I agree with Mike about the box at the end - I wrote some stuff in mine, and very soon after they received my form I got a short call where they mentioned they'd read what I'd written in that box, and asked if I would be okay with a telephone assessment - so I feel like they are understanding if you let them know you have issues with certain kinds of assessment :) 
  • Adora858
    Options
    @piphelp - just to let you know, I've had my assessment now. It was 1 hour 3 mins long, and the assessor had clearly read through my booklet well (and I'd written quite a bit). She went through all the areas and was kind. I hope it went well, but I guess I won't know for a few weeks. 

Wishing you all the best with getting your evidence etc - I would say from my experience that you don't need to worry too much about the assessment being an awful experience :) 
  • katho31
    katho31 Posts: 692 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @piphelp, remember its not about the illness/disability, its about how you are affected ie, day to day, how you feel after a certain task/activity. do you have to wear loose clothing/slip on shoes, do you need a grabber to pick up a book/newspaper, the impact on your anxiety that doing certain tasks causes, also do you have bathroom aids ie, raised toilet seat/handles on bath/shower/next to toilet. hope this helps a little. there are many more descriptors and people with more knowledge will point you in the right direction, best wishes and good luck, stay safe  :)

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.