Uc50 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Uc50

desbo2710
desbo2710 Community member Posts: 42 Connected
edited July 2020 in Universal Credit (UC)
I've been given the standard rate of pip from 27th of January this year. I'm on universal credit and informed my work coach I am now getting pip. I've always sent in my sick notes to u/c since the beginning of January and my work coach has said I don't have to search for work. Should I ask for a uc50 form as she has said I dont have to do anything other than continue to attending my physiotherapy and keep sending sick notes in. Correct me if I'm wrong, I know the pip I am getting is for daily living but if I've been sending sick notes for over 6 months shouldn't I of been given a uc50 after 3 months of sick notes?

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome to the community, Yes you should ask your work coach to refer you for a work capability assessment which will trigger the UC50, some do tend to need a reminder to do this. Also a lot of DWP staff are working in different departments due to the situation and also a lot of new staff..

If you have been sending in sick notes then your waiting period will start from the date you sent your first sick note so if you were to be awarded any money it would be backdated to date you would have become eligible.

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hello @desbo2710. I hope @janer1967's response has helped with all your questions, but if there's anything you're still unsure about please let us know. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • desbo2710
    @Adrian_Scope I've been in touch with uc and my work coach is saying i dont need a uc50. I've not been asked to look for work but under my commitments I'm to do 10 hours preparing for work. I  take it from that I'm in the lcw group but I can't get extra money because my sick notes are after April 3rd 2017 and it wont apply to me. 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Before claiming UC, were you claiming another benefit such as ESA @desbo2710

If you've not received or filled in a UC50 and haven't had an assessment, you shouldn't be in either group (LCW or LCWRA). You would just be in the regular groupings on UC with your work commitments set by your Work Coach unless you transferred to UC from another benefit.

If you've been handing in fit notes since January this year and haven't received a UC50 and didn't transfer to UC from ESA, then you definitely should be sent a UC50.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • desbo2710
    I was in work and then went onto universal credit in January 2017 when my work ceased. My commitments are to do 10 hours preparing for work and not look for work 35 hours a week. My other commitments are to continue with counselling and attend my physiotherapy. I've never filled a uc50 form in or done a wca. Yes they have had sick notes for at least 6 months. @Adrian_Scope
  • Adrian_Scope
    Okay that sounds as though your work coach is using their discretion to alter your commitments based on your circumstances (which is great and they are supposed to but doesn’t always happen) @desbo2710. However, after handing in fit notes for 29 days they are supposed to refer you on the 30th to have a work capability assessment, at which point you should be sent a UC50.

I’d suggest asking to be referred for a medical and to be sent a UC50. It’s not up to your work coach to decide whether you need one or not. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • desbo2710
    I've already asked and she said I I dont need a uc50. I'll ask to speak to a manager. My work coach knew I'd put in for pip and I've been given standard daily living, (I know that's not to do with wca) I guess it's a case of me asking for the form and to be assessed and keep pestering them.  @Adrian_Scope
  • desbo2710
    @Adrian_Scope received this just now 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Hi @desbo2710. I'd be tempted to respond explaining that you were supposed to be referred and sent a UC50 after 1 month of handing in fit notes and that you've been handing them in for nearly 7 months now. 

Community Manager
    Scope
  • desbo2710
    @Adrian_Scope I have written a response saying just that, thanks. My benefits office is open so I may have to make an appearance and talk directly with a manager. 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Let us know how you get on @desbo2710. It must be very frustrating to be kept waiting like this.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • desbo2710
    @Adrian_Scope to be honest I never knew anything about lcw and I  just assumed pip  was what I could only apply for. It wasn't until reading posts on this site I looked into it.if I'd of known about uc50 forms then I would of pressed my work coach about it earlier. It does make me wonder though how many other people aren't been informed correctly by their work coach about the same situation as me. I shall keep you posted. Many thanks 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.