PIP change of circumstances? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP change of circumstances?

Becboo
Becboo Community member Posts: 30 Connected
Hi there. Does anyone have any experience of putting in a coc on pip? I was only awarded in December having waited since last Feb for a face to face. I was awarded standard rate of both. Since then I have been having mental health support and have received diagnosis of ptsd, gad and agoraphobia. I scored 8 points on moving around and now believe I have the evidence to get the 4 points I need in the planning a journey section to receive enhanced mobility.

So... If I put I the coc, would my entire claim be reviewed? Would I have to complete an entire new form? I was awarded til December 2024 so it was a near 5 year claim. Could my claim length be shortened? I found the process agonising, I don't particularly want to go through it again so soon as I assume it would be another face to face too? Any help and support appreciated. Thank you ❤️ 

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi have you looked at the descriptors to see where/how you might score more points? Its as you know about how you are affected not the condition itself.

2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Becboo
    woodbine said:
    Hi have you looked at the descriptors to see where/how you might score more points? Its as you know about how you are affected not the condition itself.

Yes, in the mental health part of the mobility section I believe I should score 4. I personally think I should score 10 in the moving around but they gave me 8. I'm more concerned about the process of a coc considering I was so messed about the last time x
  • louise1985
    louise1985 Community member Posts: 50 Courageous
    I was awarded my pip in January got standard for both but with my mobility getting worse I did a change of circumstances they sent me the questionnaire to fill out which I sent back and within 2 weeks I received an appointment for a phone assessment with capita now just waiting for a case manager to review it 
    ?
  • Becboo
    Louise1985 said:
    I was awarded my pip in January got standard for both but with my mobility getting worse I did a change of circumstances they sent me the questionnaire to fill out which I sent back and within 2 weeks I received an appointment for a phone assessment with capita now just waiting for a case manager to review it 
    ?
    Thank you! Were you the same? Awarded standard? Did they just ask you about your mobility or go through everything? In the form and on the phone? X
  • louise1985
    edited July 2020
    yes I was awarded standard on both and it was the same questionnaire I filled in as when I first applied for pip the big booklet they send you out and when I had the phone assessment she went through the questionnaire and asked how it affected me to be fair she was very good had read through my medical notes and asked me certain questions regarding my conditions 
    I’m still waiting on the results of this report but I requested a copy of my medical report from what I can work out I have been awarded more for mobility but carnt say for deffo till I receive the decision letter 
    ?
  • Becboo
    Did you have to redo the care section as well? Feels like I'd be really rocking the boat ? louise1985 said:
    yes I was awarded standard on both and it was the same questionnaire I filled in as when I first applied for pip the big booklet they send you out and when I had the phone assessment she went through the questionnaire and asked how it affected me to be fair she was very good had read through my medical notes and asked me certain questions regarding my conditions 
    I’m still waiting on the results of this report but I requested a copy of my medical report from what I can work out I have been awarded more for mobility but carnt say for deffo till I receive the decision letter 
    ?

• louise1985
    Yes I had to redo it all I was dreading it tbh same as you as when I first became ill I was told by welfare rights i would never be awarded pip so left it nearly 2 years before I applied and I was concerned about doing a change in circumstances I case I lost my award but honestly it’s not as bad as you think ?
  • Becboo
    Thank you so much for sharing! I was also born in 1985 BTW... Great year ? I don't think my daily living side has changed, not enough to be awarded the higher level anyway. It would solely be the mental health side of the mobility part. Thank you again ?
  • louise1985
    Haha it was a good year lol ? and your more than welcome if you want to know anything else ask aaway x
  • Becboo
    Thank you! I hope you get the award you deserve xlouise1985 said:
    Haha it was a good year lol ? and your more than welcome if you want to know anything else ask aaway x

• louise1985
    Thankyou you too hun x
  • Becboo
    My form was filled over 18 months ago and nothing was entered in the following and planning a journey section. I was referred after suffering really awful ptsd after the death of my son. It is a change of circumstances, the diagnosis just gives you an idea of the problems I suffer with mental health wise. 
  • Becboo
    Sorry yes I have quote a few things, but all physical. I have pretty severe rheumatic disease. And I have a breathing condition on top of severe asthma. Ive battled severe anxiety for years and refused to accept I had a problem til I absolutely reached crisis point and I was absolutely overwhelmed and on my knees with physical symptoms of anxiety (I could happily have held a gun to my head that day to make it stop ?). I've since had assessments and therapy which at the moment is on Skype. I'm not sure I want to risk the award, especially the length of it because not having to worry about it is the least treating thing for someone with such anxiety. I won't go out on my own, don't like going out at all. I'm so hyper viligent just the noise of a motorbike is enough to send me into panic. I just wanted to know exactly what the process was. My original award the decision maker went against the report and awarded me more points and gave me a longer award. If the report had been followed I would have only been awarded standard mobility, no daily living, for two years x
  • Becboo
    Thank you so much. I had to do a dla form for one of my children and was so good at filling that precisely, when it comes to documenting my own problems I find I talk myself out of it. Again another issue of anxiety! Should I call CAB? X
  • Becboo
    Thank you so much! I feel I've got enough evidence to support this, especially as I have ot reports etc, but I'm most concerned about them looking at the original claim report from the health care professional and then think okay fine we will drop it to two years etc. Especially as that link highlights how most awards (that looks to me about 80%?!) are two years or under x
  • Becboo
    What made me really laugh is she wrote that I have multiple life long and degenerative conditions so recommend an award for 2 years. When I was age 34 ??‍♀️ the decline in what I can manage in the last four years has been devastating, I don't know where her logic came from. The decision maker must have seen through that however in my anxious mind it means they made a mistake that I'm hiding from! Anxiety is so awful x
  • Becboo
    I didn't even realise you could ask for an award length. My problems will only get worse, I'll be 6 months off 40 by the time my current award ends and by then unfortunately I will probably meet the high criteria in the moving around section alone. So far coping okay in the standard award range with daily living as I had OT come and fit me a lot of things so I can still cook and get in and out of the bath. Hopefully my mental health is going to improve though, I just need to get a grip on my mind running off and catastrophising everything before anything even happened x

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.