UPDATE FOR YOU ALL ON PIP — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

UPDATE FOR YOU ALL ON PIP

samfits99
samfits99 Community member Posts: 155 Courageous
I have already posted it and I will post it for a final time. My award review was expected to be around September time but a decision maker called me up and I have been awarded the same rate but for 5 years now not 4 years we previous. I’m so happy. but just to add the DM said with all the recent evidence they received made the decision a lot easier. I honestly thought sending off more information/ evidence could go against me but it hasn’t. it’s gone in my favour. I’m not saying it will be the case for everyone. Just so delighted! thank you scope and everyone for your replies. 

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Great news @samfits99 :) 
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • samfits99
  • Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    Gz.

I am due to retire in 2.5 years but they insist on me having another assessment for PIP before I retire. I know I should pass ok but I am terrified of losing it just before I retire and not being able to get it back due to old age.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    @Topkitten isn’t it so that you can claim attendance allowance after retirement age? I am told however that the forms to fill in are arduous.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Lulu_1949
    Lulu_1949 Community member Posts: 236 Pioneering
    @leeCal , have you got any pointers for attendance allowance asi am considering applying for this x
  • leeCal

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Lulu_1949
    @LeeCal, thanks for that, i will have a good read since  I am post pension age.
    i have had trouble walking since I had my replacement hip in November and the hospital have put me on tablets now because they think I might osteoporosis, I am still under the hospital as they are investigating... just wondered if that came under the category required to claim this benefit. Reading the points for PIP I would I think qualify but now I am too old for this benefit.
  • samfits99
    @Username_removed so glad I got awarded it for 5 years. DM called me now I’m waiting to get my letter in the post. as I sent off new evidence ect ect 
  • Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    @leeCal, if you are in receipt of PIP when you reach pension age you continue to keep it and can therefore get access to Motability vehicles and other things ongoing. However, if you don't have it then after pension age you can never get it back. Stupid system and I can see it being abused by a government desperate to cut benefit costs if, just before retirement, everyone suddenly no longer qualifies.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • leeCal
    @Topkitten thank you for the information. My pip runs out on the same date my pension starts and apparently I can try to renew it up to six months before then. I will certainly try because apart from things like motability etc pip is worth more than attendance allowance, and there’s no telling that I could get the latter anyway. 

― Dalai Lama XIV

• lulu1949
    lulu1949 Community member Posts: 62 Courageous
    @Username_removed so are you saying that because I am 71 years old it is pointless applying for AA  because I have just filled out my form although I have never been on any benefit including pip ? Only due to an accident and a replacement hip which has left me unable to walk properly after 9 months?? Not because I am now classed as old! I was as fit as a fiddle prior my accident! My bodily functions are fine. Why shouldn’t I apply is my feeling now that I am struggling and getting out of breath after a few steps, again not an age thing!
  • Lou67
    Lou67 Community member Posts: 6,634 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi Lulu I think you should definitely try for it your life has been affected  due to an accident not because of your age good luck and take care ?
  • Lulu_1949
    Hi Lou, thanks for answering, thank you yes will do thanks for your support xx
  • Lulu_1949
    @mikehughescq, I appreciate that, when I said my bodily functions were fine I didn’t realise that the phrase ‘bodily functions ‘ covered all you have said above. Yes I am having all those problems and I have listed those in the form. Sent off. But thanks for clarifying that.
  • Lulu_1949
    Thank you  @Username_removed will come back when I get a reply and keep my fingers crossed ?

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.