ESA awarded on paper based assessment. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA awarded on paper based assessment.

Options
Sunnyside60
Sunnyside60 Community member Posts: 22 Connected
Hi all,
I recently applied for ESA after 9 months off work due to my COPD deteriorating so much I couldn’t work anymore. I filled in the application form myself and sent in only 3 pieces of medical evidence as that was all I had. I was waiting for a text or letter inviting me for a phone assessment but instead I received an award letter. I was placed in the support group and I was very pleased but surprised at the lack of phone assessment. Anyway, then I filled in the application form for PIP and again only had limited evidence of how my COPD affects me. I decided to send it anyway. I am now wondering if it is likely that I will get a decision based on a paper assessment again? I know all cases are individual but I’m just looking for peoples opinion. Is this normal or is it something to do with Covid. Any thoughts welcome. 

Comments

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,938 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hello @Sunnyside60 . As you know, ESA and PIP are very different benefits with different criteria. It's quite unusual to have a paper-based assessment for either benefit (the majority of people do have assessments).
    It's always worth preparing for assessment as most people do have them.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Sunnyside60
    Options
    Thanks @Adrian_Scope. I also thought it was odd that I did not have any assessment. I phoned the DWP this morning and asked for my assessment report. The woman on the phone said she had access to it and would send it by post (2nd class) so I expect I will receive it by Friday. It will give me some insight into how the assessment was done with so little medical evidence.

I agree the PIP award is very different and I will take the time I have (whilst waiting for a text for an assessment) to prepare for it. There is a lot of very useful information on this site, so thanks to you and everyone involved for the time and effort you all put into helping people like me.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,938 Scope online community team
    Options
    It'll be worth reading through the assessment report you receive to see if it can be used in support of your PIP claim too @Sunnyside60 , as there are some crossovers between the two.
    All the best with the PIP claim and if you have any questions or need any help, you know where we are. :)
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Sunnyside60
    Options
    Received the report today. Short and sweet. It states the medical evidence supports my answers on the ESA form and are consistent with my diagnosis. I expected to see a points system with points awarded but there was only a short paragraph for the report. It’s interesting to see it anyway and I’ll keep it in mind when I have an assessment for PIP.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.