I need information, can I stop working for medical reasons? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I need information, can I stop working for medical reasons?

Alhusseni
Alhusseni Community member Posts: 14 Listener
edited July 2020 in Work and employment
I have back pain that causes pain in the foot that prevents me from moving and I can only walk with the help of a stick or a wheelchair, and my question is if it stops working, what are the destinations that I must inform and who determines whether I can work or not

Comments

• Alhusseni
    Hi
    They award me daily living needs and mobility needs , and i am still working , i feel i am very tired and i cannot continue with my job . so if i stop working what should i do 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    hI @Alhusseni and welcome to scope, would it be possible to take some time off from work, maybe ask your GP for a fit note? If you want to stop working due to sickness then you should look into claiming ESA
    https://www.gov.uk/employment-support-allowance
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Alhusseni
    Alhusseni said:
    I have back pain that causes pain in the foot that prevents me from moving and I can only walk with the help of a stick or a wheelchair, and my question is if i stop working, what are the destinations that I must inform and who determines whether I can work or not

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Alhusseni

Good Afternoon & Welcome.

I am one of the Community Champion’s here at Scope.

Sorry but what help/advice can we offer you???

Please please let me & I will do my best to help you.

@steve51
  • Alhusseni
    The DWP has awarded me with standard  daily living needs and standard mobility needs for my chronic back pain. I have continued my work and my question is what is the minimum number of hours of working for me even though I am in a wheelchair and a walking stick. I have gained a lot of pain every day and I want to know how long I can work. This is what I'm asking from you.
  • Alhusseni
    The DWP has awarded me with standard  daily living needs and standard mobility needs for my chronic back pain. I have continued my work and my question is what is the minimum number of hours of working for me even though I am in a wheelchair and a walking stick. I have gained a lot of pain every day and I want to know how long I can work. This is what I'm asking from you.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome if it is PIP you are referring to then you can work or not work this doesnt affect your PIP award, so there is no minimum or maximum working hours,

I hope this answers your question
  • janer1967
    Hi again, If you are working the first point of call is your GP who will determine if you are fit for work. If found not fit then you will need to go off sick and if eligible for company sick pay or statutory sick pay then you should remain on this till it expires.

The option is to discuss medical dismissal with your company if you and they think you are no longer fir for your role, they should have a policy on this.

If you give up work voluntarily this could affect your entitlement to any benefits you can claim in the future

Your PIP is not affected by any of this and will continue as long as yuou have an award regardless of if you are working or not
  • Alhusseni
    My question is not about the PIP award but my question is I can't work because pf the pain I have on my back so if I stop working, is there a problem to me with the job center   etc etc
  • janer1967
    I have answered this on your other post 
  • Alhusseni
    Thank you so much for being patient and being helpful.
  • janer1967
    Your welcome if  can help you any further just ask
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Alhusseni - Scope has some information which Jane has just mentioned. I hope this helps. :)

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Alhusseni, please let me know if there is anything else we can do to help. :)
    Scope

• Alhusseni
    Thank you so much

Brightness