Long Cane vs Symbol Cane — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Long Cane vs Symbol Cane

Hi all! 

I've used a white long cane since September 2019 and it's been fantastic, but I don't find it to be totally useful in every situation. I am severely sight impaired but I do have some useful sight, so in places I'm familiar with I tend to be alright getting around without my long cane.

Now, one of the big benefits of having the cane for me personally, as well as it obviously detecting obstacles I would otherwise miss, is that it signifies to others that I have sight loss. And I've found myself missing that benefit when I'm not using my cane, it's nice to alert people to the fact that there's a reason I may have difficulty with certain things without having to actually tell them myself. 

Therefore, I've recently been entertaining the thought of getting back in touch with my mobility officer to discuss getting a symbol cane for those situations where I don't quite need the long cane, but would still like the reassuring feeling it brings.

What are your thoughts? And have you used a symbol cane in the past? 

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @ross2503 Thank you for sharing this with us, I am blind in one ey and recently lost most vision in other eye (it has come back now after surgery) but it was so frustrating having to tell everybody you cant see .

So I would say anything you can use to highlight this to others without having to tell them would be of use.

I havent used a cane so cant offer any advice                                                         
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @ross2503, a really good point!

I am partially sighted and use a long cane which I am reliant on. Especially in unfamiliar areas. Like you said, I think a symbol cane would be great to make others aware of your sight while still making use of your residual sight. :)
    Scope

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Pioneering
    @janer1967
    @Chloe_Scope
    Thank you both for your response!

I think it's something I'm definitely going to look into getting. I'm happy using my long cane but in those situations where I can get by without it, I just find myself wishing I had something smaller, less bulky and easier to put away in a pocket or bag. 

My long cane is great when it's dark, really sunny, or if I'm in an unfamiliar or busy place, but on a standard day where I'm going somewhere I'm familiar with, I just find myself not using it all too often.. It will be nice knowing that I'll have the right cane for any situation.

So yes will look into getting a symbol cane, I can't see any downsides to it. 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Amazing! You'll have to let us know how you get on. :)

You will be able to get one from your mobility officer, alternatively the RNIB have a range of symbol canes which you can buy.
    Scope

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Pioneering
    Absolutely, I will do :) 

Thanks for the link, that's saved me a little bit of searching time :) 

I'm going to initially contact my mobility officer as you say. Getting one from the RNIB is a good option to fall back on.

Brightness