PIP — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP

Dom2974
Dom2974 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
hi, I have been assessed at my GP and I am literally disabled, needing a walking stick to walk and struggling to walk but I have been told I am to look for work. I receive PIP. I don’t know how they have come to this decision? Completely baffled.

Comments

• katho31
    katho31 Posts: 692 Pioneering
    hi @Dom2974, sorry to hear of this, someone online will hopefully be able to help you this evening, if not in the morning with your predicament. best wishes  :) and good luck also
  • Dom2974
    Thank you Kath.?
  • Lulu_1949
    Lulu_1949 Community member Posts: 236 Pioneering
    @Dom 2974 hi there, who says you are to look for work? X
  • Dom2974
    A woman from the government, job seeker thing? I used to have to go to the job centre to prove I was looking for work. I’m very confused. They are ringing me back next week. I did tell her I was on PIP. X
  • Lulu_1949
    Hi Dom, I am hoping some one experienced in this field will help you, perhaps tomorrow , wishing you well though xx
  • Dom2974
    Thank you for getting back to me LuLu. Much appreciated. Xx
  • Lulu_1949
    @Dom2974 no problems luvvy, don’t get stressed , always there if you are feeling low xx
  • lulu1949
    lulu1949 Community member Posts: 62 Courageous
    Hi 2974, my son has mega difficulty walking and constantly needs a crutch or both crutches but is working and was awarded Pip so don’t worry that if you get a job your pip will stop. It’s I feel if you get better it would stop , but being unable to walk easily thankfully doesn’t stop the possibility of work. Good luck in finding something that suits you if you feel fit enough to look for work.i know my son would have been really stressed if he had stopped work. Being in constant pain whilst walking is bad enough to cope with so he puts the focus on his job which I think helps him if that makes sense. Xx
  • lulu1949
    lulu1949 Community member Posts: 62 Courageous
    Sorry luvvy I put Hi 2974 , missed your name Dom sorry x
  • katho31
    katho31 Posts: 692 Pioneering
    Bye Lulu, Sandy and Lou xx please dont rise to the comments please, will be thinking of you xx you should go ahead and apply, my advice, and many others advice also, take care and keep being kind xx
  • Dom2974
    Thank you for your replies, it’s made things a lot clearer and I’ll now start looking for work which is suitable. I’m a medical typist btw. Not so easy using the pedals on the floor when pausing or stopping dictation but I’ll have to get a grip and try xx
  • Lulu_1949
    @Dom2974 go girl, so proud of you, don’t push yourself too hard, slowly does it. Good luck xx
  • Dom2974
    Oh btw I received a letter this morning saying I’m not entitled to PIP. Confused! 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Dom2974 Welcome to the community, I presume you have had a work capability assessment that has deemed to say you are fit for work.

Aa above this is a different assessment to PIP looking at different criteria, I was awarded enhanced PIP and I cant walk have only 1 leg and cant use a prosthetic I was housebound at the time and I was found fit for work. I did appeal and this was turned over in my favour.

But yes the assessment looks at if you are able to do any sort of work and if they feel so then you will be found fit for work.

It is up to you and your job coach to then come up with the commitments around you looking for work and you need to complete these or you could face sanctions and your benefits could be affected 

Hope this his helps explain it a bit more
  • Dom2974
    Thank you for your reply, I’ve just sent off an appeal after speaking to dwp who told me what to do.  I’ll let you know the outcome. 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.