Ill health retirement — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Ill health retirement

Jean71
Jean71 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
edited July 2020 in Work and employment
I need help with supporting information for my I’ll health retirement. I have fibromyalgia, high blood pressure, osteoarthritis and suffer from depression and anxiety. Been struggling for a long time. Please help really stressed don’t know how to start and what to say, I’m a ward manager.

Thank you in advance ?

Comments

• serenity2
    serenity2 Community member Posts: 250 Pioneering
    Hi @Jean71

i wanted to say welcome to you. I’m sorry to hear of your struggles.
    my apologies that I don’t know About supporting I’ll health help for you with your retirement, I hope someone comes along who can help.
    just a thought and I’m not sure exactly what you need, but would the pension dept be able to advise you and assist in your queries..sorry if that doesn’t help you..

im glad you found us here !
     :)
    Best Wishes
    serenity2 
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Jean71

Good Morning & Welcome ?

I’m one of the Community Champion’s here at Scope ?

Yes I had to take early retirement due to my  ongoing health problems ?

I would be very very happy in helping you with things ?

Please please let me know how you feel ?

@steve51

• Jean71
    Hi @steve51. Thank you so much for the warm welcome. I really have been struggling for a while with these conditions. I need help in what information I need to include in my supporting statement. Do I explain what my work entails, when I was diagnosed and how its affecting my day to day activities?
  • steve51
    Hi @Jean71

Many Thanks.

Yes please let me know how I can help you with your current struggles???

Please let me know a bit more about your current job if you don’t mind????

If you want me to get some info for you please let me know.

@steve51

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome to the community, I would suggest before you look at ill health retirement that you should have been referred to Occupational Health for them to do an assessment and also that they would request you give consent for them to access your medical records.

This should then give a report to your employers and pension provider about your work environment and how your condition is affected and they will recommend whether you are fit to continue working

Ill health retirement is never easy to claim as you are saying you are not fit to work again rather than just no fit for that role and pension provider will need good evidence this is the case.

Have you consulted with your union ? I would be surprised a pension provider would not request evidence from a medical person and not just your statement
  • Jean71
    Hi @janer1967. Thank you for the warm welcome and advice. My manager and OH suggested I apply it they both support me. OH have already assessed me and said I meet the criteria. I’m filling in my part of the form and wanted assistance with what I should put as supporting information. 
  • Jean71
    Hi @steve51, thank you for the support. I’m a ward manager working on an acute elderly psychiatric ward
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi again and thanks for providing the extra information.

I would suggest you detail some of your job activities you are not able to do or you cant do fully and explain why what affect it has on you and also how it affects the patients and other staff members 
    Detail any dates of absences

Any adjustments that gave been put in place for you 

When you started having problems also how it affects your daily living out of work 

Hope this helps a bit 

And keep us informed 
  • steve51
    Hi @Jean71

Yes I worked in the NHS for over 10yrs following my Stroke.

@steve51
  • Jean71
    Hi@janer1967, thank you for the advice will let you know how I get on. 

Brightness