I won my appeal — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I won my appeal

MobileGames
MobileGames Community member Posts: 123 Pioneering
Morning. I won my appeal back in May and now it's all finalised. It was a very stressful, anxious and hard fight. I'm glad it's over,at least for now. I would like to thank you all for your support. 

Comments

• serenity2
    serenity2 Community member Posts: 250 Pioneering
    @MobileGames
    congratulations to you, I hope you are able to relax a little more now.
    i can imagine that has been very stressful.
    take care and good wishes 
     :)
    Best Wishes
    serenity2 
  • MobileGames
    @serenity2. Thank you for your kind words. Yes it has been. I wanted to post my outcome to try to encourage anyone going through this,whether their just about to put in a claim,are about to have the assessment,are going through the mandatory reconsideration stage,about to appeal or waiting for an appeal date,to not give up and to keep fighting. 
  • serenity2
    serenity2 Community member Posts: 250 Pioneering
    Yes @MobileGames a great idea to let others see it can be done.
    good for you.
    it certainly helps to hear about this sort of thing...gives others the courage and motivation !
    thanks 

:)
    Best Wishes
    serenity2 
  • lulu1949
    lulu1949 Community member Posts: 62 Courageous
    @MobileGames congratulations, well done luvvy , can I ask how long from the tribunal date to the money going into the bank and did you get a letter from the DWP before they made the payment explaining what you were getting and when? Xx
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    That is fantastic news and thank you for sharing with us.

@Lulu_1949 i know you are wiaiting on your appeal being finalised but each court has different workloads so they will not all be the same length of times. You normally get a call from DWP tto confirm your bank details and if there have been any hospital stays and then it is usually a few days until payment is made
  • Lulu_1949
    Lulu_1949 Community member Posts: 236 Pioneering
    @janer1967 thank you so much, yes it’s my son’s appeal and after all the stress it would be nice for him to have it completed it will be two weeks tomorrow since the appeal x
  • janer1967
    @Lulu_1949 I know it is your sons claim and 2 weeks really isnt a long wait it can take up to 8 weeks or longer

You need to be patient and remember not all tribunal wins are paid at same timescale it depends on court workload and DWP case manager workload 
    On a positive note the longer it is the more it will have saved up for him 
  • Lulu_1949
    @janer1967 yes I understand, sorry if I am sounding impatient. I know hand on heart he should have applied for pip 13 years ago when he first broke his ankle and 27 operations, a new ankle that has not worked later I just feel he deserves it, I know they will probably try and have a go at giving him another ankle but who knows. He is struggling to work with the pain but am so proud of him , thanks for making it positive for me. Xx
  • Lulu_1949
    @janer1967 was a bit tired earlier and just re- read your posts to me. Sorry but you sounded a bit abrupt. I was asking a simple question, I always try and be kind to people on this site, don’t need the “ I know it’s your son’s case! Two weeks isn’t long. I explained the reason why I have been stressed about my son above but you didn’t answer this, I’m fine, don’t worry find this site really helpful when I am feeling low, so I will end this conversation. Thank you. 
  • Lou67
    Lou67 Community member Posts: 6,608 Disability Gamechanger
    Oh hope your ok Lulu take care xx
  • janer1967
    @Lulu_1949 I had no intention of being abrupt I was merely pointing out I was familiar with your case as I know I have commented on other posts 

I was only trying to re assure you that a wait time doesn't mean anything negative

I totally understand how the process is stressful and how you just want to support your son the best you can 

I was just trying to put your mind at rest and now wish I hadn't responded

Take care 
  • Lulu_1949
    @Lou67 yes thanks luvvy thanks for caring x
  • MobileGames
    edited July 2020
    @lulu1949. Thank you. From putting in an appeal,to winning and then it being finalised,it was 15 months. Yes,i did have a letter to confirm it. They rang me beforehand. It takes 6-8 weeks to receive it. 
  • charlotte441
    charlotte441 Community member Posts: 45 Connected
    @MobileGames well done!!!! Great news. did you have a phone assessment? how did you win your appeal I mean? and if it was on the phone did they tell you or did you have to wait for a letter. or was it for a MR? keep me posted thank you. Charlotte. X
  • Lulu_1949
    @MobileGames thank you so much for answering, it’s been two weeks since the appeal, he got a letter next morning which I thought was great so just need to wait now. DWP not been in touch. X
  • MobileGames
    @charlotte44 Thank you. The whole thing was so stressful. It was for an appeal. It took 15 months in total. Due to coronavirus,it was a paper based one. They looked at all the evidence. 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @MobileGames - delighted to read about your tribunal win. Pleased they were able to make a decision based on the evidence you'd sent in. Thank you for sharing your news as it certainly will help people going through the PIP process. It's a shame it takes so long if you have to go for an appeal, but this certainly encourages people to try, & not give up, so thank you for sharing, & congratulations. :)
  • MobileGames
    @chiarieds. Thank you. I'm glad it's over. The wait was so stressful. 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Lulu_1949 - I'm sure waiting to see things confirmed with your son's appeal has been stressful. When our children have problems, no matter what their age, you feel you'd rather go through it than them, as you just want the best for them. It's awful what he's been through with all his ankle surgeries. 2 of my children needed surgery when very young, & I can remember how it affected me. I hope things are soon resolved for you all. :)
  • Lulu_1949
    @chiarieds, thank you so much for your kind words, it means a lot and it is true, I am 71 and have been riding this out with my son for 17 years, he fell off the third rung of a ladder 17 years ago, I said earlier 13 years ago but have just checked and it was 2003 so he was 26 then and now he’s 43 , been in agony all this time, had to give up the job he loved but has never been out of work and it is so proud would never claim and admit to his disability , think that’s why he lost the first stage as he hid the truth a lot about how bad he was. The assessment was dreadful and I thought they were talking about someone else, I was there, he was ready to throw the towel in and it was me who made him go to tribunal. I honestly think if it had been in person he would have got enhanced but standard is a help so that he can get a car modified . 
    Yes they grow up but still need help sometimes. Mums love helping I am sure you will agree. But once again thank you for your very kind words. Means a lot. Xx

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.