Plants and flowers you like/you’d like — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Plants and flowers you like/you’d like

leeCal
leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
As it’s summer I thought some pictures of flowers or plants we have or we’d like to have would be a nice topic, especially if we post pictures! Here are my Californian poppies, it grew where it landed by mistake unbeknownst to me in stones no less!

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
― Dalai Lama XIV

Comments

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Testing team Posts: 10,666 Scope online community team
    They're stunning @leeCal. Amazing colours.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,301 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2020
    Really nice, we have a few accidental flowers (I think they are called "rogue" flowers?) too and don't want to pull them up as they look nice!!

Also we have a load of plants growing under the bird feeding table where the birds have knocked the seeds off the table and they have grown!!
  • leeCal
    @66Mustang I will take a couple of photos of some other flowers I have this year, like mimosa, but not until the rain stops. Have you got any pics you could share?

Where the birds knock them off the table you can get some wild growth, I know. It amazes me how you can take a lot of effort to plant in compost and get thin results yet the birds just fling them anywhere and they grow easily! I have some Californian poppy seedlings which haven’t done well at all in compost, I think they need plain old dirt by the looks of things.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• christian96
    christian96 Posts: 101 Courageous

This is a photo of my pumpkin plant. 

• leeCal
    Type your comment
    this is a flower bed I had last year, poppies, foxglove and Canterbury bells.

― Dalai Lama XIV

• leeCal
    edited July 2020
    @christian96 will it be ready by October?

it would be great to see an update of the pumpkin as it grows!

― Dalai Lama XIV

• christian96
    christian96 Posts: 101 Courageous
  • Sunnyside60
    Sunnyside60 Community member Posts: 22 Connected
    Hi all. I am so pleased to have seen this thread as I love my garden. I had a flower pot with spring bulbs But a few months ago something else started growing. I had no idea what they were but to my amazement the very first post is exactly what I have. So now I know what they are and they will self seed ready for next year without input from me. This picture is of my Gerbera after a rain shower. I took the picture because it was such a lovey bright colour. I’ll be keeping an eye on this thread and will post more pictures as the summer progresses.
  • Sunnyside60
    I’m not able to upload the picture but I’ll keep working on it.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    So pretty @serenity2! I love tulips. They can come in all sorts of colours too. :)
    Scope

• leeCal
    Mimosa, come in many other colours too.

― Dalai Lama XIV

• leeCal
    @Sunnyside60 the Californian poppies grow a long thin seed pod from where the flower was and when brown they split violently sending out the seeds in various directions. To prevent flowers seeding haphazardly I pick the pods when they first turn from green to light brown and put them in a plastic bag, then when they split I catch the seeds which allows me to plant them where I want them the following year.

― Dalai Lama XIV

• Sunnyside60
    Great advice @leeCal. I’ll do the same. I’ve worked out how to upload my picture of the Gerbera.
  • Sunnyside60
    I love the mimosa plants! I can’t recall seeing them before but I’ll be looking for some seeds as they are gorgeous.
  • leeCal
    These are Cosmos but doubles! I call them cupcake cosmos but I don’t know what the real name of the variety is.

― Dalai Lama XIV

• pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    Due to Covid, I have not been to the garden centre for my usual fuchsias this year. I am really missing them and put out some homemade bunting up in the garden instead. Yesterday I discovered 5 little pink heads appearing from last year`s bunch. I thought they were annuals.

I also have last year`s rock garden I made to enjoy. But seeing flowers emerge is the best.
  • leeCal
    edited July 2020
    Lots of these flowering at this time of the year, hydrangea of course.

― Dalai Lama XIV

• leeCal
    @Sunnyside60 I do apologise the plants I keep calling mimosa are actually Mimulus! Silly me sorry. Mimosa is a tree eg

― Dalai Lama XIV

• kaiasparrow
    kaiasparrow Community member Posts: 28 Courageous
    I love those poppies! I have some Icelandic poppies growing but they're only little seedlings at the moment. I have started growing some of my own food this year so I have a few tomato, beetroot, carrot, and lettuce plants going. I have some houseplants too, my favourite is my English ivy and my Saintpaulia/African Violet that I rescued from the garden centre bin for £1
  • leeCal
    I like African violets @kaiasparrow and a bargain at a pound! Perhaps you could upload a picture or two some time, people like to see flowers ? it brightens up the day. Of course real ones are best of all.

― Dalai Lama XIV

Brightness