Carers I.d — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Carers I.d

stephenjohn
stephenjohn Community member Posts: 44 Courageous
Durin the recent very difficult times caused by corona virus I had to take my wife to A AND E at our doctors request ,he did offer an ambulance but we live very close to a large hospital so I took her myself .....on arrival covid precautions were high and rigidly adhered to ,after booking in my wife was whisked away and I was told to wait in the car park and I told the nurse that she had N.E.S.S and gets easily confused if she has an attack ,and under no circumstances is she to be discharged other than back into my care ! I reiterated this several time to various nurses. Her treatment was first class but after her treatment 61/2 hours later they sent her out buy a different door ,she was totally disoriented and in some distress and wandered around for about and hour before finally ringing my son who had to travel a considerable distance to rescue her ,meanwhile I was still sat in a and e waiting for news  .....eventually we were reunited...I know times are difficult but I did specifically tell them not to release her until I was there .......now when we arrived I told the triage nurse that I was her full time carer and guardian and had been for 20 years or more and she asked where my carers I.d was ...I replied I didn’t know that they existed she assured me that on becoming a carer I should have been issued with an I.d and a badge and this makes things a lot simpler at hospitals,i have been trying to find out about this I.d but all I get is blank looks and nobody seems to know what she was on about .....any information Will be most appreciated..........

Comments

• pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    I don't think there is such a thing for someone in your circumstances. My hubby is my main carer and has never had a badge or been asked for one.

Carers who work for a agency will have an ID badge.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome to the community, I am very sorry to hear about your wife;s ordeal how frightening or you all.

This is not good on part of the hospital I know I went to A&E myself during the pandemic and they made my partner leave even though I was in a wheelchair and at the time had lost my vision. However I was as treat really well and the doctor even used my phone to contact my partner in the car park to come and collect me at the door and waitied till I wassafely in his care

I have never heard of a carers badge either maybe contact CAB or your local social services to see if they know anything
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    What a horrible situation @stephenjohn. Unfortunately as far as I'm aware there is no nationwide carer ID or badge scheme, but there are some regional schemes operated by individual local authorities. I'm not sure if yours offers something similar, but I'd definitely recommend looking into it if it seems like there's one in use near you.
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness