disability that applies for universal credit but not pip — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

disability that applies for universal credit but not pip

florencescope
florencescope Community member Posts: 11 Listener
I was wondering, are there any people who won the disability assessment for universal credit but also dont qualify for pip? 

i have autism and symptoms of dyspraxia im seen as not fot for work but i also had a hearing for pip but didnt win and just curious to know if anyone else is in a similar situation. being on the spectrum i was surprised i got 0 points for the social component. 

my disabilities effect me getting work it sucks ive also been sacked from a job, couldn't complete a childcare course as i couldnt communicate with the children easily. but pip is a very different benefit which doesbt take all this into consideration is a hard one for me.

wanted to know if anyone is in a similar situation. 

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi i'm not in the same position but as you point out they are two very different benefits ,have you asked for a MR ?
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• florencescope
    woodbine i had a tribunal on the phone and got 0 points. i i qualify being unfit for work but seen capable enough to not need pip. 
  • Awesomelorenzo
    Awesomelorenzo Community member Posts: 114 Connected
    Florence, I'm not trying to be harsh, but maybe they don't consider you unable to work.
    You can't work with children, well, in their eyes, you can do retail or call centres. That's probably why you're not getting it.

• florencescope
    I dont have the concentration and it causes me pain to listen to people for a long period of time. i wanted to do counselling but had to give it up i realistically cant focus. i feel in shock i want to eat but struggling  since the outcome.
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    PIP isn't about your ability to work, so getting LCWRA on UC doesn't automatically mean you'll qualify for PIP.  

I had the opposite experience myself, put off applying for PIP for 2 years after it was first suggested to me as I just didn't feel I met the PIP criteria and seemed to 'slip between the gaps'.  However this year I won my tribunal...largely on social issues!  Trouble is, everyone claimant is different, and every judge will have a slightly different perception of the descriptors as well.  I'm sure there is a lot of luck involved in the PIP process but others may disagree!

You can still appeal the tribunal, I forget the exact process now but you can apply for a statement of reasons and then try to find an error of law within them. 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome, my situation was the other way round I was given PIP enhanced but didnt get LCWRA until I went to tribunal

PIP is entirely different criteria though and is how you are affected on a daily living basis eg eating, bathing, dressing, cooking, walking, reading, communication, finances and such

You can get PIP while working 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @florencescope, is there anything we can help you with?
    Scope

• florencescope
    Hi @florencescope, is there anything we can help you with?
    in what way can you help?
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,356 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

There's a lot of people that are unable to work but don't qualify for PIP because if you don't fit the descriptors you won't score the points for an award. You can have a disability but it may affect you in a way that doesn't qualify you for PIP. There's also a lot of people that qualify for PIP but are able to work.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.