Under 35 with PIP, 1 Bedroom Rate Question — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Under 35 with PIP, 1 Bedroom Rate Question

dantelloyd
dantelloyd Community member Posts: 23 Connected
I am a little confused by the information I am finding online.

If I am under 35 with the Daily Living component of PIP, do I get the 1 Bedroom Rate even if I am in shared accomadation?

Comments

• OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    The LHA cap is the maximum amount of HB you can get.  

So if you pay less than the maximum 1-bed rate because you're currently in shared accommodation, they will only cover your actual rent amount.  If you moved to a 1-bed place, they would cover the rent on that up to the LHA cap.  

I hope that makes sense?

• dantelloyd
    I am currently paying more for shared accommodation than the shared rate. Some sites have said that over 35s can get the 1 Bedroom rate even if they are in shared accommodation. I am not sure if this is true or not.

If it was true, I am wondering if it would also be true for an under 35-year-old with the daily living component of PIP.
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    I am currently paying more for shared accommodation than the shared rate. Some sites have said that over 35s can get the 1 Bedroom rate even if they are in shared accommodation. I am not sure if this is true or not.

If it was true, I am wondering if it would also be true for an under 35-year-old with the daily living component of PIP.
    Sorry, yes, I see you're after the actual rate rather than the LHA cap now.  My understanding is that on UC you can get the one bed rate even if you live in shared accommodation, but as above, only up to the amount that you actually pay.  If you're still on ESA I'm not so sure!
  • dantelloyd
    edited July 2020
    I've never been on ESA, so that's not an issue. If it is the case that I would be entitled to the higher rate, arguably I would have been entitled to it while I was waiting for my PIP to be appealed resulting in a loss of money.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2020
    Hi,
    You will be entitled to the 1 bedroom rate of LHA, even though you're living in shared accomodation. Check here, what that is.
    https://lha-direct.voa.gov.uk/ It should also be backdated to the start of your PIP award.
    Although, do be aware that if the LHA rate is more than your rent then you won't receive that, you will only receive your maximum rent amount. It's likely though that the LHA won't cover all of your rent.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hello @dantelloyd. I hope @OverlyAnxious and @poppy123456's detailed responses have helped. Please let us know if you have any further questions. :)
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.