Terrified of my telephone PIP tribunal — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Terrified of my telephone PIP tribunal

Options
KiwiLil
KiwiLil Community member Posts: 8 Listener
edited July 2020 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I have my pip telephone tribunal in two weeks and I’m terrified (I have multiple mental health conditions and have previously been given it).

I applied in August last year and it’s taken this long. I’m in bits. The assessor didn’t write anything accurate. Luckily my dad was with me. 

Comments

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @KiwiLil

Good Afternoon & Welcome it’s great to meet you today.

I am one of the Community Champion’s here at Scope.

We have got some good info/advice on here.

https://www.scope.org.uk/advice-and-support/personal-independence-payment-pip/

https://www.scope.org.uk/advice-and-support/challenging-PIP-or-other-benefits-decisions/

Please please let me know if there’s anything that I can help you with????

@steve51
  • KiwiLil
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Thank you. 

I just worry they will have the same opinion as the dwp that I’m fine. I struggle keeping my emotions in tact and worry about crying or getting mad. 
  • KiwiLil
    Options
    I’m also just wondering what the process is, how long it will take etc...
  • steve51
    Options
    Hi @KiwiLil

Please please don’t worry as we are all here for you ?

I have got some further advice for you below.

https://community.scope.org.uk/discussion/72104/phone-tribunal

Please please let me know if there’s anything else that I can help you with????

@steve51
  • KiwiLil
    Options
    I’m just wondering how long it lasts and what the process of the call is
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @KiwiLil - & welcome to the community. The good news is that PIP tribunals are completely independent of the DWP. They will just want to hear how your disability affects you. Also phone tribunals currently appear to have a higher success rate. Don't worry, as the Tribunal won't be interested in the assessment you've had, nor any inaccuracies with this. They just want to hear how your disability affects you, & your individual response.
    Please see the following link, which may help. See: https://www.scope.org.uk/advice-and-support/reasonable-adjustments-at-work/   Altho this is about completing an initial PIP claim form, it may give you an idea as to how to respond with your tribunal as they will likely ask questions about the difficulties you face with any 'descriptor' that seems to apply.
    From what other members have said, the phone tribunal can be anything from 30mins to well over an hour. They just ask questions relating to the 'How your disability affects you' form that you initially completed.
    Hope this helps.....please ask any other questions, & let us all know how you get on. :)

• KiwiLil
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Hi. 
    I applied for pip August last year. Previously I received the higher for both but when they stopped it (after an assessment in 2018) I wasn’t well enough to challenge it. 

I have multiple (complex) menu health conditions and have spoken to CAB and I know I meet the criteria for basic on both. 

My dad came with me to the appointment. By the end I’d picked my face so it was starting to bleed (dermatilliomania is part of my diagnosis) but I was given 0 points and told I was fine. 

Asked for MR, same thing. I’ve sent evidence from my mental health worker and telephone tribunal is 22 of this month. 

I’m terrified they will think I’m fine. 

I’m just curious about how it works, format, how long etc it will take. I also struggle keeping my emotions in tact and I’m scared I’m going to break down. 

This has been so stressful and I’m worried it will all have been for nothing ?
  • steve51
    Options
    Hi @KiwiLil

Good Morning?

I have managed a you is post from one of our current members

This contains some great info/advice.

https://community.scope.org.uk/discussion/64446/successful-pip-telephone-tribunal

Please let me know if you have any problems/questions????

@steve51
  • chiarieds
    Options
  • steve51
    Options
    Hi @KiwiLil

Good Afternoon it’s great to meet again.

I am one of the Community Champion’s.

I think that we have meet previously.

But don’t worry I will still try to help/advice you.

Sorry to hear about your “pip” problem’s.

We have got some good info/advice on here that will be very useful for you.

Please please come back to me & I will go through it with you.

@steve51
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the community, there are lots of members who have been through telephone tribunals recently if you have a look in the benefits secti0n and PIP then you will see lots of examples.

I am sure others will come to your assistance
  • lulu1949
    lulu1949 Community member Posts: 62 Courageous
    Options
    @KiwiLil please don’t worry, it’s not bad at all, takes about one hour, clerk will ring you first which will help you. He explains who will be on the phone. Tell them your dad is with you, they will probably let him help you. Is he your Appointee, it might be worth you telling them ASAP you want him to be your Appointee so that he can speak on your behalf if you struggle, saying this they do want you to try and answer first, stay calm luvvy, good luck xx
  • Han_
    Han_ Community member Posts: 151 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @KiwiLil, how are you? How are you feeling about the telephone tribunal after reading some of the responses here? 

Han
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Fingers crossed for you @KiwiLil! Please do let us know how you get on. :)
    Scope

• laumacc
    laumacc Community member Posts: 34 Courageous
    Options
    Hi, I had my telephone tribunal today. It took around 50 mins and I had my mum with me. My advice would be to write down the inaccuracy and the page number and the correction that Needs to be made next to it. Tell them it is incorrect and that you are unhappy with this. The panel were a judge, a doctor and a disability person, they all asked questions relative to the form (same, walking distance, cooking etc) and I corrected the “proffesionals” summary. I’ve been told my decision will be sent out tonight so I’ll let u know when I hear. Don’t worry about it though as u can only do ur best, so just go through the pages a few a day and it won’t overwhelm you. All the best and good luck
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,937 Scope online community team
    Options
    Fingers crossed you receive the decision soon @laumacc. :)
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • laumacc
    Options
    Thankyou. Still waiting for the post. I feel so sick with nerves now. Not holding out much help 
  • KiwiLil
    Options
    thanks thanks all. It’s on Wednesday and I’m barely sleeping or eating. I didn’t think I’d sent in enough evidence as a lot of my issues are day to day anecdotal evidence.   

Fingers crossed Laura 
  • laumacc
    Options
    Thankyou very much 
  • chiarieds
    Options
    Hi @KiwiLil - Try not to worry, if at all possible.....your anecdotal evidence is exactly what the tribunal need; your evidence matters more than anything else right now, as has been mentioned above. My best wishes to you & @laumacc :):)

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.