Do I have any rights regarding financial assistance? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Do I have any rights regarding financial assistance?

Lucy12
Lucy12 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
edited July 2020 in Work and employment
Hi I’ve been a full time carer looking after a man Alzheimer’s end of life insulin dependent that I administered , lived in the room in the house 24 7 working seven days a week , he had complex care and thickening of drinks soft food diet , I had very few days off around 14 days a year ,I was responsible for the dog and the food shopping and general house duties , no contract of employment  , not sure what my wage should have been and now the patient has passed away , I have no grievance pay and no job I was emotionally involved with my patient which has caused me a lot of upset and grief for him as I cared for him in earlier years when his needs became more I devoted my life to him , do I have any rights regarding financial assistance as since my patient has deceased I’ve received no financial
assistance or support ,thanks in advance Lucy 

Comments

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Lucy12

Welcome too our online community/family.

I am one of the Community Champion’s here at Scope.

We have got some senior members here at Scope who will hopefully be able to help you!!!!!

Hi @Adrian_Scope
    @Chloe_Scope

Can you please offer me some help with this post?????

@steve51

• Lucy12
    Thankyou Steve 
  • steve51
    Hi @Lucy12

Please please let me know if there’s any further problems/questions??

@steve51
  • Lucy12
    Thanks Steve I’ll keep you informed once I have a response thanks for your help 
  • steve51
    Hi @Lucy12

Yes Please That Will Be Great ???

@steve51
  • Lucy12
  • steve51
    Hi @Lucy12

You are very very welcome??

How are you this evening??????

@steve51
  • Lucy12
    I’m upset about losing my beloved patient and it’s hard to grieve when your not financially or morally supported losing him and my job is hard 
  • steve51
    Hi @Lucy12

I am very very sorry to hear about your current situation/problems.

Sorry to hear about things is there anything that I can do to help/support you??

@steve51

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome to the community, first of all I am sorry for the loss of your patient.

Ss you had no contract I suppose this was a cash in hand role, did you declare tax on your earnings or pay national insurance .

Why do you think you are entitled to a grievance payment, there is no such thing, if you had a contract you may have been entitled to some notice pay for end of contract.

Does your patient have any family and a will this is the only way you could have got financial support at end of life

Were you a live in carer and if so where does this leave you with living now

You will need to look for work and in the meantime claim any benefits you would be entitled to.

I hope this helps you make a start to resolve your situation
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Lucy12, how are you getting on? It sounds like you are in a difficult situation. 

Scope

• Lucy12
    yes yes I am ,  just wondering nested did we have any rights x
  • Lucy12
    Hi sorry chloe ment to say did I have any rights x
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Lucy12 i'm not sure that you have any rights, were you employed by him on a permanent basis? did you receive a regular wage and was tax and N.I paid?
    You may have recourse to benefits, a chat to CAB might help
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

I'm sorry to hear this. I have to agree wirth woodbine here, you most likely have no rights. You can look at claiming Universal Credit, providing you don't have savings/capital of £16,000 and over. If you live with a partner you claim as a couple. Use a benefits calculator to check entitlement.

If you're not entitled to UC and you've paid the correct NI contributions in tax years April 2017 to March 2019 then you can claim New style JSA. This pays £74.35 per week (over 25's) for 26 weeks. If you claim both of these together then your JSA will be deducted in full from any UC entitlement.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness