What Is Wrong With My Electric Chair — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What Is Wrong With My Electric Chair

TheSnowBear
TheSnowBear Community member Posts: 12 Connected
Hello, I'm a new member. I've had a lot of different questions over the years but today's issue is what brought this forum to me for the first time (thank you google).

I have a problem and I don't know what to do. I finally managed to put a mobility chair on a credit card (bloody expensive) and I've felt so excited, it arrived this week and I've been out a few times. But.

It cannot cope with the slightest slope of a pavement. I've nearly ended up in the road several times. I want to be able to confidently go out without my partner, but I cannot currently see how this is possible.

I am 18 1/2 stone in weight. I'm only just under the weight threshold for my chair. And I've not been carrying any excess items to tip the scales over.

But is it likely to be my weight which is causing my chair to veer into wherever a slope goes? Many pavements aren't flat and slope towards the road. 

We could not afford anything more fancy, not that I'm a fan of scooters anyway but the best model for my wants and needs looks like the trekinetic chair which is nearly ten grand to buy. I'm an outdoors person, the seaside and the woods are my thing. Are these things permanently closed to me now?

I don't know anyone who could answer my questions.

Comments

• Awesomelorenzo
    Awesomelorenzo Community member Posts: 114 Connected
    Maybe it is your weight?
    Have you phoned the company?
  • Ozzy2013
    Ozzy2013 Community member Posts: 18 Courageous
    Hi, I am only 9 1/2 stone & if my staff jumps on my lap my wheelchair can do that sometimes when going on uneven ground..... I've found front-wheel-drive powerchairs are better at stopping this problem if you are reluctant to go for a scooter,  the 8mph scooters are better for carrying a larger passenger, But if you were to go to a nationwide mobility company you may pick up a reconditioned ex-rental cheaper which would mean you could get a better one.... Don't trust the smaller mobility companies with reconditioned equipment or advice, I have been to a few in the past that have tried to take me for a fool with faulty equipment & fake insurance claims for repairs
  • TheSnowBear
    Thank you.

It's the front which swings down the decline in the ground so I agree a front wheel drive would be better.

Mines only a 4mph. As soon as the pools can reopen I'm going to have to start going, so I can make a dent in my weight-loss. There's so few things I'm capable of doing because of my conditions.

I'll look into what you've suggested. Thank you.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @TheSnowBear Welcome to the community, great to have you on board. Did you have an assessment for your chair or just go on your own choice.

II would say only the retailer you purchased from would be able to answer your question, or have you looked at other reviews of the chair you have got to see if this is a common complaint

Unfortunately without spending a fortune chairs are quite limited with terrain they can handle.

Have you thought of leasing a chair instead  
  • TheSnowBear
    Hello, thanks for the welcome.

I went myself, there has been the hugest hiccup with my care, and I've fallen through every possible crack. So I took matters into my own hands here. I have PIP, but I'm going to fight again for the higher rate mobility because I can't walk more than a few steps on my own.

I've just spoken to someone at a local mobility shop and he's been a wonderful help. He also validated me and has pointed me where to go to speak to local people with the same issues as me.

He's advised me on my chair and says to persevere with it, that I'll learn to use it better over time, but that because it's a lightweight model it just doesn't have the motor for what I need.

So essentially at some point I will have to get a different one.

But it's also possible that if I achieve weight-loss, it may behave more.

We won't be able to upgrade me without financial support. My partner has a reasonable wage, I don't have paid work. We don't qualify for regular benefits but are in that awkward place where we live just outside London and his wage is poor for this part of the UK (job only exists in London though).

I don't know if there's anything available to help, anywhere.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Have you contacted wheelchair services they assess you and provide chairs more often manual ones if you are able to use one but they can also give vouchers towards you getting your own 

You can read about it on internet Google wheelchsir voucher scheme 
  • TheSnowBear
    Thank you so much. I will look there when Brownies finishes (not in the mood for this Zoom meeting today but it won't be for long)
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @TheSnowBear, welcome to the community! I hope others have been able to point you in the right direction. It must be disheartening when you have spent a lot of money on that model. I too would suggest speaking to the company where you bought the product from and asking your GP for a wheelchair assessment.
    Scope

• TheSnowBear
    Hello. Thanks for the reply.

First thing in the morning I've got my spine clinic call. I'm hoping this will give me some answers, even though it's only the preliminary assessment.

I now know why my chair behaves as it does. 

My plan is to see what happens in the morning, and go through the GP when I have a clearer picture of things.

Really struggling with my body dysmorphia at the moment. Mostly because of my weight. Seems silly that I used to feel like this when I was underweight. But now I'm obese I feel it tenfold.

Brightness