Jobseeking and debts — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Jobseeking and debts

Options
Jasonsea212
Jasonsea212 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
edited July 2020 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi everyone, I come here after some looking around for support with debts and jobseeking alongside with my mental health and I found this place! I hope to be able to do more than just send this post and talk more about success in the foreseeable future for I am not in a good place currently. I can barely afford to feed myself as of now and am struggling to see myself through this debt crisis I am currently going through.

Look forward to receiving much love and support soon. :)

Jason.

Comments

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Jasonsea212

Good Afternoon it’s great to meet you today.

I am one of the Community Champion’s here at Scope.

Sorry to hear about your current situation/problems.

Yes we have got some senior members who will be able to offer you much needed help/ support.

Hi @Adrian_Scope @Chloe_Scope

Can you please offer me some help with this post??????

Hi @Jasonsea212

Please please contact me if there’s anything that I can help you with??????

@steve51
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @Jasonsea212

Welcome to the community :) 

Sorry to hear about the struggles you're currently going through. I'm sure there will be members on here with advice and knowledge about the topics you mention there. 

You've definitely come to the right place, this is a very supportive, helpful community. I'd definitely recommend having a browse and getting involved :) 

Again a very warm welcome, hope to see you around here in the future! 

• Jasonsea212
    Options
    Hi again all, I did not expect to see 2 replies so fast! Thank you!

There's a lot currently getting started since last week where I found I was unable to pay for my rent and had some heartbreaking news in finding that my Universal Credit that is to be paid to me on Sunday will not even be enough to pay towards my monthly bills! I already am on only £3.49 and just about to spend it now to see me through until Wednesday where hopefully I can wake up early enough for the local foodbank which is only open 10am-12. A real struggle to wake up in the morning due to my awful sleep habits I had.

I have had a support worker assigned to me from the council from Thursday last week but he has been useless if I am being totally honest. Every issue I have brought with him he has basically said he can't help me with... Making this all seem like a waste of time.

I could tell the full backstory of how I got in this situation but that would literally mean writing out an entire story that lasts 12 years... And boy has it been a long journey to just still face issue after issue.

Let me know if there is anything else I can say.

Jason.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 11,011 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hello @Jasonsea212 and a warm welcome to the community. The first thing I would suggest is checking whether your Universal Credit statement is correct (it isn't uncommon for them to make errors). Have you looked through the breakdown of what you've been awarded? Is your rent paid directly to your landlord and do you have any unexpected deductions?

With regards to your debts, what sort of companies are these for? I'm just wanting to know so I can signpost you to the most relevant support with these. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Jasonsea212
    Options
    Hi Adrian and thank you for the response!
    I am unsure to see how I can see for myself what the breakdown is. From their end it is correct due to my last paycheck from work being 3rd of May and I had to struggle with a mere £200 for the entirety of June to pay my bills and eat. I was referred to a credit company from the council to see what they can do but as always. These things take time. No my rent is not paid directly to my landlord and there has been no deductions to my upcoming payment which 'will not be enough to pay my bills'.

There are 2 debts currently which I have had for nearly a year now. Before all this mess happened in my life. They are with Paypal and Hitachi. I have managed to get a credit holiday for 90 days from paypal since last week but Hitachi have not responded to my claim for a holiday yet and are still trying to take payments... The bastards.

That's only my personal loans as I have had to skip my rent fees last month and that hasn't caused me any trouble as of yet. But I am trying my best to contact the estate agent who I am renting the property under to come to an agreement but bah. They are only open 9am-2pm and once again. I have found myself waking up too late to this timeline in which I can call the appropriate person to talk through this problem. Utility bills aren't a problem for now.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.