Issues in social housing — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Issues in social housing

shnwttn
shnwttn Community member Posts: 21 Connected
Hi all,

I hope my post finds you well.

I was given social housing after leaving a violent relationship which left me homeless and with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.

Whilst I am grateful for being given a home, during my tenure in the property I have been subjected to extensive harassment (both owing to my illnesses and my sexuality), I have been assaulted and neighbours have do everything possible they can to force my to leave my property. I have also been witness to regular incidents of assaults/domestic violence, drug use and taking, had a fire started outside my home, amongst many other incidents. In the last 18-24 months alone there has been a rape/sexual assault in the complex I reside, an aggravated burglary, unlawful habitation of a property, again amongst many other occurrences. Most recently I was witness to a stabbing, with this having a tremendous ill effect on my mental health.

In spite of involving the police and my housing provider, no action of note is being taken, with my housing provider seemingly afraid to bring those involved in these issues to task. As I have no alternative but to report these issues to my housing provider in the hope they are dealt with, no action is taken and I am seemingly ignored, my reports dismissed and I am made to feel problematic and a nuisance. 

I have supplied medical evidence to my housing provider which advises that my health is declining due to these occurrences however a request to be rehoused is refused.

I am posting to enquire as to any advice as to what would happen if I purposely made myself homeless? Would my local authority rehouse me? Could my housing benefit be used for a private rental?

Due to having received unhelpful and overly boorish responses to previous posts (which left me feeling unable to use the forum for a long while) I would ask that unless you can offer constructive advice, to refrain from replying.

TIA 

Comments

• Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @shnwttn

If you make yourself purposefully homeless the council will not have a duty to rehouse you.

Your housing benefit will not move with you, sorry not enough information to say what would happen next. However as a guide housing benefit will normally cover up to the local Local Housing Area (LHA) rate according to your circumstances, including age and if you are recieving UC. You can find out more at https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/local-housing-allowance-lha-rates

Hopefully someone with a bit more knowledge will be able to help.

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    hi @shnwttn hope you are ok today? where you live sounds like my worse nightmare, you could contact your local MP and get them onside re: moving. Might be worth a conversation with "SHELTER", as for renting private whilst on benefits thats possible although most private landlords don't accept people on benefits as tenants. If you found one that did you would usually need a months rent as a deposit plus a months rent, sometimes help is avalable with that. Private rent help is "local housing allowance" you can get an idea how much that might be from your local councils website.
    I hope some of that is helpful.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• cupcake88
    cupcake88 Posts: 1,273 Pioneering
    Hi there I also suffer with ptsd as the result of being in a abusive relationship . I have also experienced homelessness me any my dog were put into this council hotel which I had to pay for but at a cheaper rate it was a dog friendly option to a refuge . They did offer to put me and my dog in a hostel but that really wasn’t for me I went to stay with family . 
    Unfortunately they don’t really give you a choice it doesn’t sound like a good place for you mentally . I would look into private housing see if the council can help . I hope you get sorted soon . 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm really sorry you are in this situation @shnwttn. It sounds like it was difficult to leave your house in the first place, to now be in another violent atmosphere. 

How have things been over the past few days?

Here is the information on how you can contact Shelter. Please do let us know how you get on.  

You don't deserve to be scared in your own home and you are not being a nuisance at all.
    Scope

Brightness