What happens now — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What happens now

Bumbles
Bumbles Community member Posts: 34 Connected
Hi all, please be gentle as this is my first posting.
i currently receive higher rate pip & standard rate for mobility, I have applied also for contribution based ESA and have been told i am eligible. I filled in the questionnaire esa50 ( think that was it) usually you would have a face to face interview to ascertain what group you would be put in, however, as these are suspended temporarily what happens now? Will I have a telephone call to discuss or will they just use the information on the form in conjunction with my medical records?
many thanks 
S

Comments

• pault34
    pault34 Community member Posts: 16 Connected
    edited June 2020
    Hi Bumbles

I'm in a very similar position to you, I applied for Contribution Based ESA and was put on the 'Assessment Rate' backdated to Nov 2019. I filled out the ESA50 and returned it just before the 'Face-to-Face' assessments were suspended. I have also been awarded Higher Rate Daily Living and Standard Rate Mobility for PIP. I am worried that my ESA claim won't have been assessed before my current ESA claim runs out due to the 365 day limit for Contribution Based ESA on 5th Nov 2020. Does anyone know, or have any suggestion as to what will happen if my ESA claim hasn't been assessed before 5th Nov? Will they just stop ESA payments?

Hope you/we get some replies!

Thanks everyone in advance.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    edited June 2020
    Hello @bumbles and @pault34

While face-to-face assessments have been suspended they are still doing telephone assessments. If they can't progress your application via a paper-based assessment (where they just use your form and any evidence you've submitted), then you'll be offered a telephone assessment. 

Even before COVID there were long delays for assessments so you may have a little wait ahead. 
    Best of luck to you both. :)
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Bumbles
    Thanks Adrian, 
    So I may not have to have a telephone or face to face 121 if my form and evidence I have sent is sufficient?
    S
  • Adrian_Scope
    It is pretty standard for the majority of people to have an assessment (be it telephone or face to face) but some people are awarded just based on their evidence and form, yes. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Bumbles
    Thanks Adrian,
    will I be given a date for my interview (telephone) or do they just phone you up without notice?
    thanks once again for advice it does help the anxiety level.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    Bumbles said:
    Thanks Adrian,
    will I be given a date for my interview (telephone) or do they just phone you up without notice?
    thanks once again for advice it does help the anxiety level.

If they can't do a paper based assessment then you will be given a date for the phone assessment. I would advise you to expect the phone assessment, that way you won't be too surprised if the appointment letter arrives in the post.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Adrian_Scope
    They should definitely give you notice @Bumbles. I have heard that over the past few weeks some people are receiving a phone call giving them 1 weeks notice of a telephone assessment, but usually they would write to you and give you a time and a date.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Bumbles
    thank you Adrian,
    The reason I asked was due to the fact that when my pip review was due I posted off the form and evidence, a week or so later they phoned un announced and proceeded to ask me lots of questions relating to my problems and what I had put on the form. At the end of a lengthy conversation ( which I was totally unprepared for) he said he had made a decision and would let me know this through the post.
    I really do not want to go through that route again totally unprepared.

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Bumbles Just wanted to add that is exactly what happened to me after sending in my review form I got an unexpected call asking me further questions. The DM made an instant decision and I was awarded enhanced rate on both so I was delighted and it was a 5 year award as well. 

So these calls are not always bad news
  • littleruthie123
    littleruthie123 Community member Posts: 511 Pioneering
    hi I'm being told I will be having an esa assessment phone call .but I haven't filled in a form recently. Last one was roughly 2 years ago.is this normal thanks?
  • littleruthie123
    littleruthie123 Community member Posts: 511 Pioneering
    mines esa though 
  • Bumbles
    janer1967
    it was good in the end for me as well PIP decision when it came gave me enhanced rate and standard for mobility (missed out by 2 points for enhanced) however, the award came with no end date and I can review if I feel my circumstances have worsened.
    I guess I am hoping that the ESA Will use all the information that I sent to make the right judgment without the need for an interview.
  • janer1967
    That would be nice for you but dont rely on it happening just because that happened for PIP 

I had to go to tribunal for my work capability so they dont go hand in hand 

They are different benefits with different criteria

I hope you do ok 
  • Bumbles
    well, had a letter arrive today saying I have aN ESA Health assessment phone interview on Tuesday anything between 20 min and an hour.
    will see how I get on, hopefully whomever is phoning they are kind and understanding!!?
  • janer1967
    Glad you have a date now for assessment fingers crossed it goes well for you 
  • Bumbles
    Thank you, I will post after the interview and let you know how I get on.
  • Lou67
    Lou67 Community member Posts: 6,608 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi just want to say great news on your PIP award, hope your ESA assessment goes as good for you good luck. 
  • poppy123456
    Good luck! Wait about a week after the assessment and then ring DWP to request a copy of the assessment report to be sent to you. From this you'll have some idea what the decision is likely to be.

Work capability assessment reports are not the easiest to understand, if you don't understand it then please come back here and i'm sure someone will help you. You'll need to look for the LCW/LCWRA recommendations at the back of the report.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Bumbles
    had telephone assessment today, lasted around 35/40 min not sure if that’s good or bad?
    i think/feel that it went well but I guess I will just have to wait and see what group I get put in.
    thanks for all your input leading up to the interview.
  • poppy123456
    The length of time for the assessment doesn't mean anything at all. Wait a week and you can ring DWP to request a copy of the assessment report to be sent to you. From there you'll be able to see what the recommendations are. It will either be WRAG, Support Group or fit for work. Support Group will mean your ESA money will continue (with an increase from week 14 of your claim) for as long as you remain in that group. WRAG and your money will remain the same and only be paid for 365 days. Fit for work and your ESA ends.

Good luck and hopefully you won't be waiting to long. If you request the report and you need help to understand it please do post back and i'm sure someone will help you. They are not the easiest to understand.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.