going to unknown places and driving — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

going to unknown places and driving

Options
florencescope
florencescope Community member Posts: 11 Listener
edited July 2020 in PIP, DLA, and AA
how does the point system work for pip if you struggle to drive in unfamiliar places but you are more comfortable taking public transport? would that automatically mean id get 0 points?

I have a huge problem when it comes to driving. if i want to drive somewhere alone i have to take my mum or someone with me untill i am familiar with the route. ive even driven on longer routes to.avoid ones i dont know and i consider paying the extra in petrol money worth it ao i dont have to deal with the anxiety.

i panic when there can be a diversion and there are so many turns in the roads i get so confused. i worry ill.cause an accident snd also because of the panic and worry with all the adrenaline it could substantially higher the risk of this. 

i have driven for over 10 years and ive had to accept this is how i am. i see people drive without any worry and wonder why i react in a different way.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,251 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    HI,

There's a lot of people that feel anxious when driving to unfamiliar places, myself included and i've been driving for 30 years. I use google maps a lot when i'm driving to unfamiliar places but it doesn't stop my anxiety. I wouldn't expect to score any points with PIP because of it. Seeing people drive that don't seem anxious doesn't mean they aren't. It's not difficult to hide anxiety, my daughter hides it very well.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the community great you have joined us.

As above having anxiety when driving new places wouldnt get you PIP on its own there are a lot of other factors that they take into account.

Maybe read the descriptors and see if you think you would score against them in order to gert an award.

There is lots of information on here about PIP
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @florencescope, how are you doing?
    Scope

• Denise11
    Denise11 Community member Posts: 99 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi florencescope  Nice to meet you.

PIP is given to people to make their lives easier.  So, if you feel it's better for you to use public transport then use public transport.   If you need help with anything get help.  You've been awarded that benefit so spend it making life easier.  Sometimes, I get so tired that I don't feel like cooking and I call Pizza Hut or fish and chips to be delivered, not very often but I'm on my own and have to eat and can  get around it without peeling potatoes or veg.  I like fresh food but cooking can be hard.  I buy presents for people online and send the parcel to them all wrapped up. You won't lose PIP if you want to give up driving?  That's up to you plus you wouldn't have to pay to pay car insurance, maintenance or fuel, so if you wanted to have taxes to go somewhere when buses aren't going you still could get to where you want to.  You could keep the car for short journeys but use taxes/buses when you need to go elsewhere.  My family want me to give driving up, but that is my independence and I'm not going to do that until I want to. 
    Honestly, there are a lot on PIP who can't drive.  You can, but there is no shame in wanting it up whatsoever.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.