Can they ? ? ? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Can they ? ? ?

mum1
mum1 Community member Posts: 11 Listener
Just booked my 2 kids on play scheme, had to pay £234 extra for the wheelchair user who has cp. she needs a 1:1 for personal care so I had to pay for that. What happened to Equality of Access !!

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi is that extra for the week or ? if they have to provide 1:1 care thats obviously going to cost more i'm afraid.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,352 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome,

I must admit, i'm with my friend woodbine on this one. I don't think it's anything to do with Equality of access. Your child with the wheelchair needs more care and attention that your other child so the cost will be more.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    I do tend to agree to disagree yes your child needs more care and they will have to resource this so tyhat is why the cost is higher.  

On the other hand that is exactly the reason why disabled children are sometimes not included in these events as the parents cant afford the cost but should consider maybe this is an expense the DLA should be used for if they receive it
  • mum1
    mum1 Community member Posts: 11 Listener
    thank you all x
  • KarenO_Scope
    KarenO_Scope Community member Posts: 24 Courageous
    Hello @mum1. Sorry we didn't pick this up when you posted. I work for the Scope Activities for All project in Leeds. We would have challenged this situation and encourage all activity settings to budget for inclusion just like they would budget for other resources and food, so they can pay for additional staff when they need them. It's a challenging one if you need the childcare and with the current situation. I think you are right about the Equality of Access and that is a large additional cost to find.

I think it would be worth seeing if you could meet with a manager after your children have attended to discuss your concerns and seeing if your local authority have any teams that work with playscheme providers that may be able help. We also support settings to look at volunteer schemes, external grants and fundraising to help them meet additional costs and ensure they can provide inclusive services. Here is a link to the work we do in Leeds https://www.scope.org.uk/family-services/family-activities-leeds/inclusion-quality-mark/ I hope you are able to challenge this situation.

Brightness