Capability for work questionnaire — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Capability for work questionnaire

Debs69
Debs69 Community member Posts: 21 Listener
Hi need some advise I'm claiming UC and am also getting carers allowance.
Recently I have been unwell and my Gp and signed me off with depression, I've told Uc this and now have received a capability for work questionnaire.
Most of the form is about physical activity and not sure how or what I put to explain how I'm feeling, or is it really necessary, its says get help but at the moment I'm not up to going out and about I cant cope. Having severe anxiety panic attacks, just not sure what i have to do.
Lost my way not sure if it makes sense kinda how I feel sorry  thankyou 

Comments

• Debs69
    Hi poppy this is my question 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

This will be the work capability assessment form and you must fill it in and return it no later than the date stated on the letter. Evidence should be sent with the form because they rarely contact anyone for this, the onus is on you to make sure it's sent to support your claim. There's a guide here that will help. It states ESA50 form but the UC50 work capability form is exactly the same. https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/employment-and-support-allowance/help-with-your-esa-claim/fill-in-form/

You need to put as much information as possible about how your conditions affect you. Use extra sheets of paper if you don't have enough of space but make sure you put your NI number on everything you send.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @Debs69 and a warm welcome to the community. 

It can seem quite difficult to see how the questions on the form apply to you. Have a read through the link Poppy sent as it may help. Have you seen the descriptors they're looking for when assessing capability for work?
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Debs69
    Hi Adrian thanks for getting back to me.
    No I haven't seen descriptors they looking for, tbh without sounding stupid I really dont have the energy or motivation to jump through the circles.
    Not very good at saying what I mean, or mean what I say it's all a mess and got 6days to do it.
    Aaaaarrrggghhhhh!
    Why me? 
  • poppy123456
    It is rather daunting yes, i've been through the work capability assessment 4 times over the years. Just put as much information as possible when filling out the form. Basically tell it how it is. What they're looking for is a typical day for you.

They will be assessing your ability to do any type of work. It's about the work you can do rather than the work you can't do. Descriptors for LCWRA are here. https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/universal-credit-uc/uc-faq/3904-limited-capability-for-work-related-activity

Face to face assessments are currently suspended due to Covid19. This means that it will most likely either be a telephone assessment or a paper based assesment.

If you're claiming for mental health reasons then the substantial risk criteria may apply to you more than any of those descriptors mentioned in the link above. Explained here. https://wcainfo.net/issues/substantial-risk-lcwra

Hope this helps a little at least.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Debs69
    Hi Adrian and Poppy just wanted to say thanks for your help and advice and links, the UC50 is done!
    Thank god, wont get no were but I've done it and send it on time lol. Thanks again xx
  • poppy123456
    Glad it's done. I'd advise you to do some research also while you're waiting for the assessment process. It really does help to have some knowledge of what it's all about. Good luck.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.