Fibromyalgia, any tips? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Fibromyalgia, any tips?

Options
klejade
klejade Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hi everyone, my names kayleigh and I was diagnosed by a rumatologist with fibromyalgia last week. I work in a busy nursery and im really struggling with figuring out the balance. Realistically dont think i can work with kids much longer it just makes me worse but im scare of the whole disability process. Any tips for a newbie? ?

Comments

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @klejade

Good Evening & Welcome it’s great to meet you today.

I am one of the Community Champion’s here at Scope.

Yes I have been thought the whole process of working/retirement/benefit‘s.

Please please come back to me if you need any further help?????

@steve51
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,041 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Hi and welcome,

I too was diagnosed with fibromyalgia many years ago. I knew something was wrong a couple of years before i was finally diagnosed, although i do have a couple of other conditions too.

One thing i do know for sure is that having a diagnosis can make you feel worse in a strange way. When i was diagosed, i felt worse for quite sometime. What you have to say to yourself is am i really worse than i was before i was diagnosed, or is it because of the diagnosis.

You have to do what your body tells you, what might work for one person, may not suit another. I always find the cold makes my pain a million times worse. Summer is always the best time of year for me. Walking for me is very painful, as is walking up stairs, getting in and out of the bath, bending down on my knees. Thankfully, i have a daughter who's my rock and helps me so much!

You need to speak to your employer and ask about resonable adjustments in the workplace. See link. https://www.gov.uk/reasonable-adjustments-for-disabled-workers

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by the "disability process" I'm a little confused by that. If you mean registering as disabled then this no longer exists.

If you need more information or advice please do just ask.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • klejade
    Options
    Thank you poppy and steve. 

I will check out that link. Im glad I have a label to put on the pain and Im not just making it up as lots of people have told me over the years. It really got alot worse over last winter and i was struggling to walk up and down stairs and I caught covid 19 in march and been really struggling since then. 
    I meant applying for pips ect. I cant afford to call in sick to work when i need to unless i move back in with my parents ?. 
    Thanks for your advice ? 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the community, there is lots of advice about applying for PIP and the process on here,

But first I suggest you look at the descriptors and how your condition affects you against them as it isnt about a diagnosis it is about how your condition affects your daily living and your ability to complete the tasks.

If you think you will score enough points for an award then you nned to apply by phine and they will send out the forms, you need to complete the form and send off with any medical evidence as detailed on the guidance, this will then start the application process.

If you have any more questions about the process just ask

I hope youstart to come to terms with your diagnosis and we are always here to help
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Just wanted to welcome you to the community @klejade! It can be an odd time when you receive a diagnosis, but your feeling are all valid.
    Scope

• klejade
    Options
    Thank you @chole_scope and @janer1967. I will look into that ?

Brightness