PIP ASSESSMENT — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP ASSESSMENT

YvonneMK
YvonneMK Community member Posts: 13 Connected
Hi I’m Yvonne I kinda had a rant at the end of someone else’s post which I apologise for. I have been refused pip based on a phone assessment. I am sitting in bed cause I can’t sleep. I’m so upset at decision, I have asthma, arthritis carpal tunnel depression polymyalgia fibromyalgia incontinance at both ends and just generally struggle with life. I work part time as a cleaner I do 4 hours a day which is broken down into 2 hours morning and night. I do this because there is no other work going in my area I have tried applying for other jobs more suited but just get turned down. I was kinda forced into this work by dwp as didn’t want to lose my tax credits which all helps pay towards maintaining my son in education. Without his help at home I wouldn’t manage this but I can’t depend on him forever he has his own path to follow. I have got so much worse this last year and find apart from doing the essential wash and dinner I just have to test between shifts. I struggle big time at work but no my colleagues well and they help by doing all the heavy stuff leaving the lighter stuff to me. By the time I’m finished my shift the 5 minute walk seems like a mountain and I quite often have to get my pal to pick me up as I’m about in tears with the pain. I phoned and put in a mr today but don’t hold much hope for this. I just want to curl up and cry the assessor just tore me to shreds. Sorry for the ramble just thought it might help me sleep I’m up at 7 to get dressed as need a dr appointment and if you don’t phone at 8 you do t get one ??☹️

Comments

• Awesomelorenzo
    Awesomelorenzo Community member Posts: 114 Connected
    Poor you!
    I can't imagine what you're going through.
    Might be a stupid question but is there no way you can work from home?
  • YvonneMK
    I’d love to work from home but  no jobs working from home advertised apart from telesales which I’d be useless at! I like going to work it gets me out the house amongst people I know and they all rally round me and help so I don’t get dismissed which is a lovely thing because I can’t go out amongst strangers I don’t mix well with groups of people I just want to shrink away so small that I can hide and the relief I feel when I close my front door is immense. I can communicate for things such as bills over the phone well as I can put my old professional hat on so to speak and distance myself . That’s how I got through the assessment I made notes and it was if I was speaking about someone else and my friend was there for emotional support which helped as I knew if I forgot something she would say about it. Put me I. A social situation however and I can’t cope. It’s like being professional means they can’t emotionally hurt me and the probabilities of speaking to them again is minimal but socially is different I can’t emotionally cope. Assessor said I spoke well and had a good knowledge of my illnesses and that he could not see that my mental welfare came into play for going out and about as I sound confident how little he knows. Anyway how can a physiotherapist assess a mental illness god only knows’ sorry for ranting everything is so jumbled and I feel overwhelmed with it all. I decided on Tuesday to try and go down to the shops to get something I got out our street and then turned around to come home and misjudged a step and fell so hey ho I’m mentally and physically sound ?
  • YvonneMK
    Wish I could sleep I’m up at 7! I find it helps typing it down I’m only ok with this as although you are a stranger you can’t put me in any emotional discomfort so find it helps and it’s as if I’m only speaking to my phone not a live human 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

You now have 1 month from the date of the decision to request the Mandatory Reconsideration (MR) you should put this in writing stating where and why you think you should have scored those points. Then add a couple of real life examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to you.

Yes people work and claim PIP but if the work you do contradicts the reasons for your claim then this can go against you.

Do be aware that most MR decisions remain the same so it's likely you'll have to take it to Tribunal.

If you're able to get advice from an advice centre near you then i'd advise you to do that. Start here. https://advicelocal.uk/find-an-adviser

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • katho31
    katho31 Posts: 692 Pioneering
    Hi @YvonneMK very sorry to read what youre going through. we will try to offer you help and kind words, please dont think you are alone  :) x
  • YvonneMK
    Thank you poppy x
  • YvonneMK
    Thank you everyone been at dr absolutely shattered going to try and stay up so I sleep tonight though. Taking a day off from forms as looking at them and at moment not making any sense will go back later x
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome to the community, glad you have joined so we can hopefully support you in your appeal.

It is a good idea to take a break from the forms so you can pluck up the courage to continue.

Try and not focus about the assessor, a physio can assess for PIP as it isnt the condition they are assessing but how that condition affects your ability to carry out day to day activities

If you have any questions we can help with just ask and try and follow Poppy's advise on how to complete your MR

Good luck and keep us informed
  • YvonneMK
    I will do and thank you x
  • cupcake88
    cupcake88 Posts: 1,273 Pioneering
    Hi there and welcome . Please keep us updated . I wish you all the best of luck I know how stressful this process is
  • YvonneMK
    Thank you everyone I feel ready now to start tackling my MR tomorrow/today. My brain was fried and I couldn’t think straight but know I need to get this done as early as possible, so I guess onwards and upwards hopefully after I get some sleep! I know I’m not going to sleep well until I’ve done it too many thought going on in my head and overwhelmed the last few days but all I can say is thank you. All I can do is tell the truth and stick with it ?‍♀️

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.