Counselling NHS or Private? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Counselling NHS or Private?

Cress
Cress Community member Posts: 1,012 Pioneering
Hi

Just wondered if anyone here had experience with the above and did they find going private any better at all or no? Apart from waiting times...
Thanks

Comments

• katho31
    katho31 Posts: 692 Pioneering
    Hi @Cress, nice to meet you  :) going private is costly and in my own experience it depends on the counsellor, you may click and feel at ease or may not, i did have counselling many times on nhs, it did help because i didnt know them and they werent family/friends so not biased. i did end up doing a counselling course and that in itself helped me, was many years ago and i did it part time college/at home so only 10 hours a week for 10 months, hope this helps and best wishes  :)
  • Wini1960
    Wini1960 Community member Posts: 130 Pioneering
    Cress I definitely found private counselling the best for me. NHS counselling is very limited because of funds. I was offered CBT until I let them know what I need help with and they said, "when someone becomes available to deal with my issues they will let me know". I never heard from them again. So definitely private in fact Thursday will be my last session which started from last year. Although I would say I am fortunate. I worked for the ICAEW the professional body for Chartered Accountants for many years and through their benevolent fund I can get counselling sessions via telephone for free and private sessions for free as well.
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    I’ve tried both @Cress and I found the private counsellor better but as @janer1967 says it also depends on how you click together up to a point. Availability of a counsellor is probably the important factor, nhs is very very busy. If cost wasn’t a problem I’d personally go private. 

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
    I don't know if you automatically get a better quality of counsellor in the private sector; I think the main benefit of paying for a private service is the shorter waiting time. Also, you are just as likely to get on with an NHS counsellor as a private one. I guess with the NHS it is harder to change counsellor if you don't get on well with them whereas privately you can quite easily just stop seeing them and find someone else.

It depends on whether you are cash rich or time rich I guess!
  • Cress
    Thanks everyone for taking the time to give me your thoughts, everyone...much appreciated
  • katho31
    you are welcome  :)
  • katho31
    Hi @leeCal, how you doing?  :)
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @katho31 just about to do a big deal ...selling my old bicycle! It could go either way, ha ha. See you in a while ?

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• katho31
    oh thats cheered me up @leeCal :) good luck and do a good del boy job!!  :)
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Cress, you can find out what services are available in your area by looking up NHS mental health services. I hope this is useful. :)
    Scope

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,345 Disability Gamechanger
    My eldest daughter went through a very rough time just about 1.5 years ago. She went to see her GP and he mentioned some councelling but the waiting times for that in my area at the time was several months at least. She decided to pay privately at a cost of £40 per hour but she said it was the best thing she ever did and yes she would pay again, if she had to.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Cress
    Thanks Chloe and Poppy....I'll have a look at what's out there... :)

Brightness