Work and work related activities — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Work and work related activities

MissAm
MissAm Community member Posts: 15 Listener
Hello I really need some advice I have been talking back and forward with universal credit about the work and work related capability I’ve spoken to other organisations too I have severe mental health issues and a doctors note during this time it was never mentioned anything about national insurance contributions even when I looked up the work and work capability I definitely do not have enough insurance credits as I’ve been living in London the last two years doing uni so only had some work however now they have sent me out the application for the new style ESA and when i looked it up it said I needed contributions I’m just getting the regular universal credit at the moment why would they have not mentioned it before now ? Does anyone know can I still apply for the work and work related capability? Thank you 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,345 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

New style ESA is based on your NI contribtuions so yes you won't qualify for this.

As you're claiming Universal Credit i have no idea why you've been sent the form for New style ESA. May i ask are you sure it's the form for this and not the work capability assessment form, otherwise known as the UC50 form?

If you've been sending in fit notes for UC then your work coach should have referred you for a work capability assessment. This will then allow them to assess you're ability to work, which will determine whether you have a limited capability for work.

Please check the form you've received.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @MissAm

Good Evening & Welcome it’s great to meet you today.

I am one of a team of Community Champion’s here at Scope.

Yes I have got a good friend on here & she is very very good with Benefits.

Hi @poppy123456

Can you please help me with this “Benefit Post”

Many Thanks.

@steve51

• MissAm
    tha thank you so so much for this as I have been writing back and forth on my journal about this I also have an advisor from boost who is amazing have you any advice on what I should do next?
  • MissAm
    I’m just clarifying is this information up to date as I know beneifits stuff change like the weather really just want to know if it’s still the case then I will confront universal credit as my work coach doesn’t write back to me it’s always other random people who continuously tell me conflicting advice thank you so much aoife 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,345 Disability Gamechanger
    Yes the advice i have given you is correct, i wouldn't give anyone incorrect advice. You need to ask your work coach to refer you for a work capability assessment.

If you have an adviser already then i don't understand why they haven't already given you this advice and told you what the process is.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome to the community, I back up the advice from Poppy but I have found that a lot of work coaches do not know about referring people for a work capability assessment. They shoud do this after you have submitted sick notes for 28 days or more

Often they need prompting to refer. There are a lot of new staff working and a lot of them working in different departments than their normal so dont always have all the knowledge 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @MissAm - & welcome to the community. I hope you manage to get things sorted soon. :)
  • MissAm
    Guys thank you all so much it means so much x

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.