Awaiting to hear from PIP — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Awaiting to hear from PIP

Welliboots93
Welliboots93 Community member Posts: 32 Courageous
Hi!
Hope you're all well whoever reads this ☺️

I applied for pip on the 27th March, got the  a week later. Sent it back off towards the end of April 2020 and they recieved it on May 1st 2020.

Its now been 12 weeks since they recieved my pip form and I haven't heard from them for an assessment. Should I ring them? Is this normal to be waiting this long? 

Also, If I am awarded pip do they backdate the money awarded from when you applied?

I'm started to get really anxious waiting because I really need this assessment as I'm struggling to work because of my disabilities and I'm not eligible for UC!

Thank you, 
Jade

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,335 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2020
    Hi,

That length of time really isn't long at all and it's perfectly normal. Backlogs cause delays and there's no timescales. In normal times a PIP claim can take several months, these are not normal times.

There's no harm in ringing to ask but there's really nothing you can do but wait.

Once the assessment has been completed a decision can take anywhere between 2-8 weeks, sometimes longer. It's not a quick process i'm afraid.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome to the community glad you have joined us. I would just add to the advice that if you are awarded PIP it is backdated to the date you applied.

Hope you hear something soon and keep us updated
  • katho31
    katho31 Posts: 692 Pioneering
    Hi @Welliboots93, yes i would give them a ring tomorrow early if poss, due to covid theyve had a big backlog but are getting back on track so i dont think you will have long to wait, i applied, first time PIP application and i was like you and so worried and anxious, if you ring ask if its with an assessor, if it is then i dont think it will be much longer, best wishes and good luck  :)
  • vinylcountdown
    vinylcountdown Community member Posts: 16 Courageous
    I am new on here, but when I had waited for 12 weeks after sending the form in, I called DWP for an update.

They said the form was with IAS (the assessment company) and I could call them directly. I did, and they said I was in the system, waiting for an appointment, The guy on the phone checked there and then, and said there were no appointments available. 

I called again a week later, and they gave me an appointment for the following week. 

I don't know how much longer I would have been waiting if I hadn't called them

• loulabell
    loulabell Community member Posts: 6 Connected
    I had an appointment they called me on an private number my phone just went to answer phone really frustrating I am anxious as well all the wait from months so felt like crying  from long drawn out wait and obviously circumstances the  way they are   
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    It would be from a private number 

If you were expecting the call maybe switch off your answer function 

• cupcake88
    cupcake88 Posts: 1,273 Pioneering
    Hi there I sent my application off in feb and only now got my  assessment for next week . So hopefully it’s not much of a wait for your self . 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.