Hi am I intitled to any benefits? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi am I intitled to any benefits?

Options
ozzy47
ozzy47 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hi 
Not sure where to start, but here goes.
I have wore a hearing aid for 30 years, i am deaf in one ear and only 20% in my other ear with a hearing aid. I have worked for my present company for 3 years but have struggled with the noise and can't communicate with other people. I have  spoke to HR and health and safety but are not doing a lot to help me, i have walked out twice as the noise have got to much and if i take my aid out then i can't communicate so catch 22, Some times i feel like am being pushed out because i keep asking for help. i once asked a guy to turn down a radio as it was so loud over the machines and it got in to a big argument and i had to walk out. I was told off by management and told not walk off again but to speak to someone. I did speak to my line manager and HR and health and safety but didn't do anything .  I now get panic attacks, also depression and started to take anti depressors and also  have high blood pressure. I struggle to hear in the street and stay away from functions and loud places.
I rely on my wife a lot for communicating and especially at night when i take my hearing aid out.
People say i may be able to claim some kind of benefits but would not know where to start.
Sorry for the long story but could anyone help me or point me in the right direction please?

Thank you 
Ozzy47.

Comments

• leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @ozzy47 welcome to the community, I’m sorry about your problems at work and though I can’t help you I’ll tag @poppy123456 as she knows far more than I. Best wishes.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• ozzy47
    Options
    Thank you LeeCal
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,030 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Thanks @leeCal for the tag,

Hi and welcome,

The only benefit that comes to mind here would be Personal Independence Payment, otherwise known as PIP.

However, it's not awarded based on a diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activities based on the PIP descrirptors. See link https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/pip/

A successful claim could take several months and more. You should send evidence with the form to support your claim because they rarely contact anyone for this.

Regarding your job, if you're unable to work then SSP should be claimed from your employer with a fit note from your GP and this is paid for 28 weeks. https://www.gov.uk/statutory-sick-pay/eligibility

Hope this helps and if you need more advice please do ask.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • ozzy47
    Options
    Thank you for your help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.