What benefits will I lose if my daughter works full time — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What benefits will I lose if my daughter works full time

Options
kidsareus
kidsareus Community member Posts: 28 Listener
Hiya I’m new on here I’m just wondering what benefits I will lose if my daughter moves in who works full time . I currently get high rate pip due to a number of reasons esa in the support group and I also get carers allowance I’ve also go a young daughter living with me ‘ people have said I will lose all my benefits if my eldest daughter would to move back home just wondering if anyone could give me any advice please thank you . 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,030 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    HI and welcome,

I'm glad you didn't listen to other people and came and posted for advice because they are not quite correct.

You say you receive high rate PIP but there's no high rate. It's Standard and Enhanced and there's 2 parts, daily living and mobility. If you recieve daily living part and you're claiming housing benefit then this won't be affected because non dependant deductions won't apply to you.

Your council tax will be affected if you're currently claiming the 25% single person discount.

Do you currently claim the severe disability premium in with your benefits? If you do then you will lose this unless your elder daughter claims a qualifying benefit such as PIP daily living or DLA mid/high rate care. SDP is £66.95 per week.

You will of course need to report the changes to DWP and your local council.

Hope this helps, if you have anymore questions please do just ask.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • kidsareus
    Options
    Hi poppy thank you for your reply yes I get the sdp each week to so I would lose this how would I be able to keep it would I have to get a carer as my daughter works full time so if she was to move back in she wouldn’t be able to do a lot for me 
  • kidsareus
    Options
    My daughter gross income is around £14,000 per year I think not 100% just wondering if she would have to pay the full rent on the property to 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Yes you woll not be entitled to the SDP if she moved back in. Part of the criteria to this is that you live alone or are classed as living alone, which is why i asked if she claimed a disability benefit.

Your daughter will not be able to claim for carers allowance as she earns earns more than the maximum amount allowed.

As advised because you're claiming daily living PIP then there won't be any non dependant deductions. Do you rent from social housing or privately rent? If it's social housing and you have a spare bedroom at the moment and are paying bedroom tax then you will no longer have to pay this, if she moved in.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • kidsareus
    Options
    It’s a council property I do have to pay bedroom tax as I’ve got one spare room .if my daughter was to put my address as her main house but not stay every night would that make difference with my SDP ‘ I like her to move back in property as I would like her to get on to the property ladder for when I’m not around just to give her a head start in life which I never had unfortunately 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    That's very unlikely to allow you to still qualify for SDP because they could find out that she's using your address.
  • kidsareus
    Options
    I just didn’t understand what a non dependent person was etc when I was reading up basically it said something on the lines not on your tendency but but your address will be there main home 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Non dependant is someone over the age of 18. This applies to housing benefit so you won't have a reduction in that. You'll also have an increase because you won't be paying any bedroom tax.

The SDP will stop though, as advised.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,938 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hello @kidsareus and welcome to the community. I'm glad to see Poppy has been able to help you with your query regarding your eldest daughter moving back in and the effect it will have on your benefits.
    Please let us know if you have any other questions. :)
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • kidsareus
    Options
    Will I lose all my benefits if my daughter moves back in ? 
  • poppy123456
    edited July 2020
    Options
    kidsareus said:
    Will I lose all my benefits if my daughter moves back in ? 

I've already answered that question. Your SDP will stop if she moves back in. Your single person discount for council tax will also stop. You will no longer have to pay the bedroom tax, unless you have 2 spare bedrooms and then it will only be 1 bedroom for bedroom tax.
  • kidsareus
    Options
    I’m on about my pup and esa 
  • poppy123456
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Your PIP won't be affected but your ESA will be because you will no longer be entitled to the SDP because you won't be living alone, if your daughter moves in with you. Your ESA will be reduced by £66.95 per week.

Your daughter will not be able to claim carers allowance for looking after you because her earnings from working full time exceed the maximum amount allowed to earn for claiming carers allowance.

I don't know how to explain it any clearer than that.
  • kidsareus
    Options
    Thanks what if she was to drop her hours to part time as that’s what she as in mind 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    You stil won't be entitled to the SDP. To claim the carers allowance she must look after you for at least 35 hours per week and earn no more than £128 per week, after deductions. https://www.gov.uk/carers-allowance/eligibility Carers allowance pays £67.25 per week. That's quite a big drop from earning full time wages.

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,938 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hi @kidsareus

Just to clarify:
    Your PIP won't change at all when your daughter moves in.
    Your housing benefit should not change as you receive Daily Living PIP (in fact it may increase as you won't be bedroom taxed once your daughter is added to the claim).

Your ESA will go down £66.95 a week because you will lose the SDP premium. This will happen regardless of whether your daughter is working fulltime or becomes your carer. To be eligible for the SDP premium no one can claim carer's allowance for looking after you and no other adults can live in the house with you (unless they also receive PIP/DLA/AA). Your council tax support is also likely to change. 

You mentioned your daughter moving back in so she could try and get onto the property ladder. If she goes down to only part-time hours from fulltime so she can claim Carer's Allowance her income will be reduced quite a lot. 
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.