Toilets For Severely Disabled People Made Compulsory In Every New Building In England — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Toilets For Severely Disabled People Made Compulsory In Every New Building In England

Options
Chloe_Scope
Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
edited October 2020 in Research and opportunities

Toilets For Severely Disabled People Made Compulsory In Every New Building In England – Huffington Post

New buildings in England will be required to include toilets which have been specially adapted to meet the needs of severely disabled people, ministers have confirmed. 

According to the Changing Places campaign, at least 250,000 people in the UK are unable to use standard accessible toilets because they do not have changing benches or hoists and are often too small to accommodate carers. 

Campaigners say this means some disabled people feel restricted about leaving their homes – or that they often have to lie down on a dirty bathroom floor.

After many years of campaigning this will be very welcomed by a lot of people.

Do you need to use a Changing Places toilet? Do you think there should be more of them? 

Let us know your thoughts in the comments below! 

Scope

Comments

• katho31
    katho31 Posts: 692 Pioneering
    Options
    Very long overdue but so pleased with this becoming law  :) myself and lots more have been lobbying with local councillors and I'm happy its finally here  :)
  • phandi
    phandi Community member Posts: 20 Connected
    Options
    This is long overdue, and will make life easier for me when I venture out ... assuming that I will eventually escape the need to shelter in lock down! It's about time every hospital is obliged to have a changing places hospital. I hope that will be legislated before long
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Good news and about time too.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I've always doubted myself about using a Changing Places - I can use a disabled toilet providing they have enough room for me to transfer safely with my frame or with the support of one person. But yes, this is very long overdue and it will be life-changing for many disabled people :) 
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • phandi
    phandi Community member Posts: 20 Connected
    Options
    Ami, I need a hoist to get on a toilet. Every time I go out I am worried I will need to go to the toilet, and have to be sure I will have access to a Changing Places toilet if I expect I will need to go. If I can't be sure, I stay at home. It is very restricting, isolating, and morale mincing!
  • Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    Options
    Have to agree @mikehughescq, with only new buildings being included I suspect that standards will change and most likely fewer toilets of any type will be included. Bsiness isn't going to agree to lots of additional costs without trying to grab it back some other way.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • RAwarrior
    RAwarrior Community member Posts: 430 Pioneering
    Options
    This is a welcome change and disabled toilets are a problem. In my workplace there is only one disabled toilet which is abused by non disabled staff on a daily basis. The floor is left in a wet state, the cubicle is left in a disgusting state leaving it in a dangerous condition for the disabled staff who need to use it. Some staff have a wash in the cubicle, do not flush the toilet and think it is okay to make the disabled cubicle the place to go to to leave a mess when they can use the many other toilets in the building. The abuse of disabled toilets in public places including non disabled people using them because they don’t want to queue is very common. Unfortunately some people think it’s okay to flood the floor with water and leave a mess without flushing the toilet. If you’re lucky that a disabled cubicle has a Radar lock then you might find a clean and safe toilet but many places including shopping centres won’t install them leaving the cubicles open to abuse. Having access to a clean, dry and safe disabled cubicle makes a huge difference to disabled people, however, too many think it is okay to use the cubicles as a wash room when it is not set up for that use meaning the disabled people that need to use it are at a serious risk of falling.
  • RAwarrior
    Options
    Hi @Username_removed
    Thank you for your comments and explanation as I wasn’t aware of the details you kindly provided. Maybe I should have posted my comments under another topic so my mistake? I do however, think that there are real problems in disabled people accessing safe and clean disabled cubicles for the reasons I have mentioned.
  • RAwarrior
    Options
    Hi @mikehughescq,
    Unfortunately many people in work and outside of work don’t understand how distressing it can be for a disabled person to be able to access a safe and clean cubicle which has not been covered in water or left in an unclean state. I have almost fallen on many occasions. However, at another workplace a disabled wheelchair user skidded across the floor when they entered the disabled cubicle because someone who was not disabled had been using the disabled cubicle as a shower room on a regular basis! I just wish some people wouldn’t use the disabled cubicle when they can use the other cubicles which nearly always outnumber the disabled cubicles. For some strange reason many people think it is okay to misuse disabled cubicles. I have reported unsafe disabled cubicles in a well known shopping centre and asked them to install Radar locks but they have refused so I don’t shop there anymore because the disabled cubicles are always flooded with water because of people using it as a washroom and I am not referring to disabled people. Another problem is when shopping centres or other places have the baby changing and disabled cubicles as one cubicle reducing access for disabled people. The problem can be that disabled people are not regarded as valuable customers so if I cannot access a safe disabled cubicle I vote with my feet. 

Brightness

Disclaimer

Our website contains links to third parties’ websites for your information only.

We have no control over the content of those sites or resources and we don’t endorse or accept liability for the content of them.

Read the full Terms and Conditions and our Community House Rules.