Do I need medical evidence to prove that I have mobility issues due to obesity? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Do I need medical evidence to prove that I have mobility issues due to obesity?

mcchell
mcchell Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited November 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA

Hi I would like to enquire about applying for PIPs.  I am classed as morbidly obese (BMI 64).  I work full time but finding it hard with mobility and the daily showering and dressing issues which come with being morbidly obese.   also normal activities of daily living are now becoming very challenging.   I have never went to my doctor but they know my weight issues, so to apply for PIPs I would not have any medical evidence to prove my issues but it would be clear to see and know what I can do and can't do with my body habitus.   Do I need medical evidence tor prove any of this or can I can ahead and apply? I would be applying from Northern Ireland

thank you for any advice.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,352 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

Strictly speaking no, medical evidence is not needed but it does help if you did send some. What is important is filling out the form with as much information as possible about how your conditions affect you. Then give a few real life examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to you.

You can also write a diary and ask someone that knows you well to write a supporting letter.

People do work and claim PIP but if the work you do contradicts the reasons for your claim then you could be refused.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • mcchell
    mcchell Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi

Many thanks.  I sit all day in an office job.  It is very sore sitting all day but I cannot afford to reduce my hours.  My back is in constant pain because I don't move about much with this job . I will request the form.

I appreciate your advice. 
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @mcchell

Good Morning & Welcome to our online community/family ?

I’m one of the Community Champion’s here at Scope.

Yes due to my On going Disabilities I had to take early retirement.

My job was also in an off off sat down all day.

But my “Hidden Disabilities” became more of a issue as the days went by.

@steve51
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome to the community, glad you have joined us.

i would advise you have a loo at the descriptors before applying and see if you think you would score enough pointys to achieve an award.

Nobody can say if you would qualify but its all about how your condition affects your daily living, eg dressing, bathing, preparing food, communicate, deal with finances , toileting taking medication as a few examples.

It looks at how you can complete each task if you need help, aids, prompting and can do it safely and reliably and repeatedly

Good luck if you decide to apply
  • Denise11
    Denise11 Community member Posts: 99 Pioneering
    Hi mcchell 

There isn't any harm in applying for PIP, although as Poppy said it's not likely you would  get it, but by applying it  would flag you up to the benefit system and you may get some help and advice that you would benefit from.

Also, you said you worked in a office, is that within the civil services?  I was for 24 years and due to the situation they got a filly trained advisor to visit and ended up with a different chair that suited my needs - maybe you could ask for one to come to you?  
  • poppy123456
    Denise11 said:
    Hi mcchell 

There isn't any harm in applying for PIP, although as Poppy said it's not likely you would  get it, but by applying it  would flag you up to the benefit system and you may get some help and advice that you would benefit from.

I never said that it's unlikely that they would be able to claim PIP. Apply for PIP wouldn't flag up on their system for help and advice with other benefits.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • newborn
    newborn Community member Posts: 832 Pioneering
    edited July 2020
    Please please believe I'm wanting to be on your side.    Your weight is a risk to your health and to your life, in many ways, and now also makes Covid a bigger threat to you than if you are slender.  It isn't my area, but there are drastic and effective ways to change your size.  

There are so many ways to be disabled, and certainly your obesity brings some of the same mobility problems.    It's  really unfortunate  and you have sympathy  and fellow feeling  about the difficulties  of being unable to move about  easily,  or at all.    

[Post edited by moderator. Please keep our community guidelines in mind.]
  • Lou67
    Lou67 Community member Posts: 6,622 Disability Gamechanger
    @newborn  I’m afraid to say that is much easier sd than done, I was a normal weight a cpl years ago but due to severe osteoarthritis in both knees currently waiting on 2 knee replacements, I have put on over 3 stone it has made me feel so down worthless and ashamed, people say eat less and I do try, but feel my lack of mobility has a lot to do with the weight gain as can’t walk much at all and definitely can’t do exercises,and it’s not so easy to just get a gastric band I’m sorry but I feel even more deflated now, hope your feeling ok @mcchell I totally understand the way your feeling take care. 
  • poppy123456
    You don't need to exercise to lose weight. I have mobility problems and never excercise. Infact i don't walk far at all because of my disability. I've been a member of a slimming group since 2016 and did lose 6.5 st in 1 year with zero excercise and yes i did have my disability at the time. Having said that i did find the comment about weight loss a little blunt.
  • Lou67
    I’m glad you lost weight, but in my own experience I’m finding it hard as I sd I wasn’t over weight before my mobility issues  I am trying to loose weight and am on a program with my doctor, but still finding it hard, people need to be aware everyone is different and that was my point. 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    edited July 2020
    Hello @mcchell and a warm welcome to the community. 
    The condition a person has is rarely in question so medical evidence isn't always needed to claim PIP. You don't need to prove that you are classed as morbidly obese, it's more about how your conditions impact your daily life and mobility. 

When you're filling out the form be sure to put as much information as possible and as Poppy said, give examples of why you can't do something, what happens if you do or what happened last time you tried. 

I'm sorry I've had to remove a few off-topic posts from your thread. Best of luck with your claim and please let us know if you have any other questions. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • newborn
    newborn Community member Posts: 832 Pioneering
    Yes, that's why I stressed it isn't  being critical,  just being concerned about someone.  I lived by that neighbour  for years  and knew her and the family  fairly well.   Obviously losing her weight wasn't just easy to do.  I don't  remember the detail of how she lost the first bit, which she needed to do on her own, before the surgeon  would do the band.

Wish I could remember.  I moved and she did too, so I can't ask her.     Just clutching  at straws from the air, I suppose  maybe  something practical  would be a start?   For instance just refusing to have anything in the house with sugar or wheat and not having ready meals or takeaway or a frying pan might leave her eating salad and carrots and fresh fruit, and boiled eggs and steamed fish and veg. 

Poppy it's so interesting you lost six stone with zero exercise.  I often wonder if the one size fits all jolly bits of health advice are from people who don't  know disability even exists!   It cannot be helpful to constantly link diet and exercise,  in fact it probably isn't helpful to talk about the word diet, because that word means, to most people, the week they spent on nothing but soup, or some such.  That's  not a way of life.  A way of life is eating food, and feeling pleased with it, but making a habit of not choosing, or even wanting,   highly calorific  food.Talking of 'deserving a treat of a sugary cream cake' is just silly talk. It seems as if the sugar industry is running the world!   A couple who are dentists are bringing up their child to think a real special treat is being allowed a second portion of broccoli,  which she adores. 
  • katho31
    katho31 Posts: 692 Pioneering
    Not easy to lose weight, even more difficult I think when mental health illness are involved.
  • poppy123456
    @newborn i know quite a few people that have lost weight without exercising. Exercise is good to trim your body.  I toally agree about the word "diet" for me it's not a diet, it's a healthy eating plan.
  • DuffersMum
    DuffersMum Community member Posts: 196 Pioneering
    Lou67 said:
    I’m glad you lost weight, but in my own experience I’m finding it hard as I sd I wasn’t over weight before my mobility issues  I am trying to loose weight and am on a program with my doctor, but still finding it hard, people need to be aware everyone is different and that was my point. 
    I was very overweight and had bad knees..my gp wouldn’t even refer me to anyone..we moved house, changed doctors and within a year had my first knee replacement, the second one eight months later and then lost 5 stone...my consultant said having my knees replaced would make it easier for me to do things, he was correct...although not 100% they are definitely better than they were...sadly I also have arthritis in my hips and knees now so some of the weight has crept back on but I’m determined to get it odd again before I have to go back and see him about hip replacements, because I want him to see that his faith in my has been rewarded..

I hope you get your knees sorted soon x
  • Lou67
    @DuffersMum. Hi thanks for the message. Iv been on the list for both knees to be replaced, due to pandemic it’s obviously been on hold.
    But I had an appointment at the hospital just last week the consultant has told me hopefully be within the next txt 4 months I will get first knee done. After I recover hopefully the other one done.

Thanks youv gave me some hope as things are a bit tough just now.

Take care ❤️
  • JLS
    JLS Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Hi, you certainly don’t need medical evidence, although obviously the more you have to back your case up will help. 

I applied and got PIP for my Morbid Obesity a couple of years ago without any. I do have a carer tho, although the points I got didn’t reflect anything to do with the things my carer does for me. 

Like people have said above just fill the form out with as much detail about how it affects you and what aids etc you need to do each activity if you need them. 

I wish you all the best. 
  • poppy123456
    JLS said:
    Hi, you certainly don’t need medical evidence, although obviously the more you have to back your case up will help. 

I applied and got PIP for my Morbid Obesity a couple of years ago without any. I do have a carer tho, although the points I got didn’t reflect anything to do with the things my carer does for me. 

Like people have said above just fill the form out with as much detail about how it affects you and what aids etc you need to do each activity if you need them. 

I wish you all the best. 

This thread is 2.5 years old and the member hasn't been active in all that time. Hopefully they applied for PIP and were successful.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.