Moving in together — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Moving in together

D9482
D9482 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi need advice off anyone that may have been in this situation and I'll try not to complicate things. 

Me and my partner both live separately and claim universal credit. 

We both get lcwra 
She gets money for 2 children. 
We both get housing benefit allowance. 
Both get pip standard. 

Could anyone explain the prices of making a joint claim.. How much exactly we are entitled to, (I've worked out housing element to be around £440) and I know we both can't claim lcwra and will claim carers element.

I'd just like to know the process as we both already have claims. Is there a 5 week wait. Can we claim budget advance or loan etc. 

Any help would be appreciated 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,921 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2020
    HI and welcome,

Putting all your details into a benefits calculator will tell you what you'll be entitled to providing you put in all the correct information. https://www.entitledto.co.uk/benefits-calculator/Intro/Home?cid=96c2b308-6998-4c31-96f1-4fb25bfbb2cd.

If at least one of you is over 25 then the standard allowance over 25's couples rate is £594.04. Child element x 2 if once child was born before  April 2017 one element will be £281.25. 2nd child element. £235.83, LCWRA element £341.92, housing element £440, although both of you claim PIP you can only claim 1 carers element and the person that claims it shouldn't be the person that receives the LCWRA element. £162.92

At a quicker glance here it is,
    £594.04 Standard allowance
    £281.25 if born before April 2017
    £235.83 2nd child
    £341.92 LCWRA
    £162.92 Carers element.
    Housing element £440? Total amount £1,615.75

You will need to claim as a couple by joining the claims together. One of you will send the other one a code to link the claims. No, you will not have to wait another 5 weeks for your first payment. I'm not sure whether it will keep your assessment period dates, or your partners. I'm assuming it will be which ever one comes first. Hope this helps but do use the benefit calculator if needed.

Do be aware that the standards allowance will be reduced by approx £85 per month from April 2020 because it's been increased due to Covid19.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @D9482, great to have you here.

I hope @poppy123456 has been able to answer your question. Please do let us know if you need anymore information. :)
    Scope

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome to the community glad you have joined us.

Great news and congratulations on the plan to move in with your partner.

I am sure the info you have been given will answer your question but if there is anything else we can help you with just ask
  • Connor_Delaney77
    Connor_Delaney77 Community member Posts: 30 Listener
    Hello I’m just jumping on to this if you don’t mind me asking if any one knows about carers element? Does it get backdated? 
  • poppy123456
    Hello I’m just jumping on to this if you don’t mind me asking if any one knows about carers element? Does it get backdated? 

Hi,

It will depend on a few things. Does the person caring receive the LCWRA element?
    Does the person being cared for receive a disability benefit such as PIP daily living/DLA mid/high rate care or Attendance Allowance?
    Did the person caring report being a carer? It can be difficult to get this element backdated unless they reported this.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • D9482
    D9482 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi thank you for your reply. I have only just saw this. So am I correct in saying that one of us will lose lcwra amount and will have to claim carers element instead and will also lose one child element for the youngest. It doesn't seem fair tbh. Surprisd this hasn't been brought up as a discrimination matter. I'm just concerned over the payments being received on time and the full amounts because obviously we have direct debits and bills to pay. Sounds a bit complex and complicated
  • poppy123456
    D9482 said:
    Hi thank you for your reply. I have only just saw this. So am I correct in saying that one of us will lose lcwra amount and will have to claim carers element instead and will also lose one child element for the youngest. It doesn't seem fair tbh. Surprisd this hasn't been brought up as a discrimination matter. I'm just concerned over the payments being received on time and the full amounts because obviously we have direct debits and bills to pay. Sounds a bit complex and complicated
    You started the thread 2 years ago. Are you saying in that time you haven’t claimed as a couple? 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2022
    You cannot both get the LCWRA element, only one LCWRA is payable per claim.

The one not getting LCAwRA can claim carer element instead.

I don’t understand your question about losing a child element. She gets money for two children and will still do so - unless you also have children and some of the joint children were born after April 2017.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.