Mobility Scooter Recommendations — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Mobility Scooter Recommendations

weeyin
weeyin Community member Posts: 30 Courageous
Hi

I have never tried a mobility scooter.  I will be testing the eco lightweight Luggie mobility scooter and the standard folding mobility scooter tomorrow.  I am looking for a lightweight folding scooter I can put in the car.

I am 5’1 and 8 stone so looking for a smaller scooter.

wont be able to reply until after 7 tonight.  Any advice would be great.

Linsey x

Comments

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @weeyin, have you looked at folding powerchairs? They tend to be more compact and still give you the level of independence.

I hope tomorrow goes well! 
    Scope

• weeyin
    Hi Chloe

I think as I haven’t used a wheelchair or scooter before I would like to initially start with a scooter.
    I haven’t had anyone to discuss it with or to get advice from.  I am not great at using social media.  I don’t tend to go on social media networks/groups often.  I just know that I am missing out on so much due to poor mobility and pain.  

Unfortunately I have cared to much about other people’s perception of me.  I have been vain and embarrassed to admit that I need a wheelchair or scooter.  I currently use crutches.  I will be 40 in 2 weeks and I am now realising I am wasting my life by not using mobility aids that would give me a more fulfilled life.

Thanks for messaging ?
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome did you go and try out some scooters ?

Its hard to advisee as it is down to personal preference really and what you want to get from it. Most mobility shops will let you try them out and recommend the best type for you

Mine is quite bulky and hard to fold up and put in car I certainly couldnt do it by myself, if going out in car I take my power chair as it folds down easier.

However a power chair isnt very good if you want to carry stuff where a scooter you can load the bags on the foot rest  

Hope you find something suitable
  • Chloe_Scope
    Hi @weeyin, what you are experiencing is not uncommon. I'm a part-time wheelchair user (despite it being a rarity over the last few years) and it was certainly a process of accepting that I needed this aid in my life. 

You are not alone, I hope mobility aids will give you the freedom you deserve. :)
    Scope

• weeyin
    hi @janer1967 and Chloe

I have purchased the folding Luggie scooter.  It will be delivered next week.

I am happy with my decision.  I need to get my head round making the most of my life and not being concerned by what others think.

Thanks to you both for replying xx
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Great news hope you are pleased with it when it arrives 

I am sure you will forget your fears once you discover the new freedom it will bring you 
  • weeyin
    Thank you.  That’s what I’m hoping ? x
  • Chloe_Scope
    Ah that's great @weeyin! You'll have to let us know what you think of it!
    Scope

• weeyin
    Thanx @Chloe_Scope.  I should get it by next Thursday.

Brightness