hi ive had a review of my benefits and SDP is not allowed any benefits advisors around — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

hi ive had a review of my benefits and SDP is not allowed any benefits advisors around

jjdd70
jjdd70 Community member Posts: 66 Courageous
hi has my heading states my husband gets enhanced pip and standard mobility
I get standard pip and standard mobility
on income support get child tax credit and child benefit son at college,
housing benefit 
W e had been getting SDP on our benefits for over 1 year 
we both claim carers for each other becuase there is things i can do for him that i cant do myself 
we got a letter recently stating that the SDP is now disability income guarantee at £24.50 they said becuase it was a mistake on there side we was not entitled to SDP becuase we claim carers is that correct information and if we would be better off not claiming carers and let my son do unpaid caring?

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,368 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

Yes, this is correct, if you're claiming carers allowance for each other then you won't be entitled to claim the SDP because they can't be claimed together. If you were claiming SDP couples and carers allowance at the same time for over a year then you shouldn't have been. Sounds like it was an error on their part, if this is correct then you won't have to pay the SDP back.

Disability income guarantee or Enahnced disability premium as it's now known as is not the same as SDP, this is a totally different disability premium and is paid as well as the disability premium (£49.80 per week) because you're claiming Income Support.

SDP couples rate pays more than claiming Carers allowance for each other.

If your son wants to care for you unpaid then yes of course he can do that. Hope this helps.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,524 Disability Gamechanger
    You can do the caring and not claim CA if you are still getting income support then SDP will be worth £134 a week as a couple.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• jjdd70
    im just wondering if id be better of just 1 of us claiming carers to get SDP back
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,524 Disability Gamechanger
    jjdd70 said:
    im just wondering if id be better of just 1 of us claiming carers to get SDP back
    you can't both claim CA and both claim SDP claiming couples rate SDP will get you the most money, so stop claiming CA for each other then you can claim SDP which as i said for a couple is £134 per week.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• jjdd70
    oh i forgot to mention when i spoke to benefits after 2 days of waiting the lady said that if 1 of us stopped claiming carers for now we would get the £64.75 SDP but then she mentioned we would lose the £37 premium for when you care for someone im not sure what she meant 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,368 Disability Gamechanger
    I really don't know why you would want to continue to claim the carers allowance for just the 1 of you. Claiming the SDP couples will mean you'll receive more money than claiming carers allowance. You can still care for each other without claiming the carers allowance.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.