Broke My Chair, Need Some Tips — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Broke My Chair, Need Some Tips

TheSnowBear
TheSnowBear Community member Posts: 12 Connected
Hello.

I broke my new electric wheelchair.
Am on to the supplier but in the meantime I want to get a cheap self propelled chair, which I can use on my own, or that my partner can push me in if I'm struggling.

I'm hoping to get to the mobility shop tomorrow but I wanted to chance it and post here on the off chance anyone has any last minute advice, as you were wonderful with helping me with my previous issue.

I need a cheap chair. I'm nearly 19 stone (though actually I have lost 2lb this week, woohoo). 5'4" tall. Wide butt. I'm in the UK. Does anyone know if there are any cheap self propelled chairs which cater to these specifications, or perhaps does anyone know what and where to avoid?

I can't go over two hundred quid, because I know what chair I would like to get once I've had my proper assessment (and can have it built exactly to my needs) and it's not cheap (but would hopefully last me a long time).

I'm hoping someone sees this between now and when I go to speak to the shop - they're super and know their stuff but I need to be assertive well informed as possible:)

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @TheSnowBear, would the manual chair be used while your powerchair is being fixed?

If you would prefer a short term loan, the Red Cross offer wheelchair hire. I hope today goes okay. :)
    Scope

• TheSnowBear
    Thank you, I will go and look this up now. I've overslept, gah. 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi there , have you tried wheelchair services dont know how quick they supply though
  • christian96
    christian96 Posts: 101 Courageous
    Have you spoken to a OT or not? 
  • TheSnowBear
    I haven't seen an OT yet. But I had my first assessment with the spine people on Friday last week. 

I'm going to be having an MRI. Though I've been warned this could take some time. 

There's a particular chair I would like to have customised, once all the answers have been given to me. 

In the meantime, I just wanted to sort out something cheap and generic but which wouldn't buckle or fail, under my weight, or cost much.

The place my electric chair came from are hopefully going to mend it.

But going forward I want to be able to self propell when my body behaves. 

I'm a little unsure whether getting referred to wheelchair services/ OT is better right now, or after I have had the scans etc. Because what if after the scans and possible diagnosis or operations, they decide my needs have changed or something.

The customised chair is just over a grand and I want to make sure that it meets my needs. If I end up down that path too soon, I won't be able to get help a second time to buy one, will I?

We don't have enough coning in to keep changing things and buying more things.

The lending scheme does seem OK though.
  • TheSnowBear
    Good news.

My electric chair is being switched for a new one at the end of next week, or so.

At the start of next week I'll have a manual chair as well, which is also attendant-friendly.

It's sad that the customisation I did isn't transferable, though I've asked if I can keep the back of the seat bit which I sewed the patch over, instead of the new one. 

I won't be sticking anything over this one til I've had it a few weeks, just in case, this time.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Really glad to hear your chair is being switch, this must be such a relief! I hope you can figure out a way to change the customisation over and that you'll be able to get out and about! :)
    Scope

• TheSnowBear

I've just spent two days getting to know my manual chair. It's very different.

I've already made the manual my own, I've put spoke covers on in two colours and am attempting to sew a different cover for my cushion.

It helps me to feel better about it all by doing this.
  • Chloe_Scope
    This is great @TheSnowBear! Personalising mobility aids can really help. :)

I hope you continue to find it helpful.
    Scope

• TheSnowBear
    It really does.
    The company switching my electric chair got sent a photo of what I did to my malfunctioning chair and loved it, they said they can swap the material bit over to the new chair, I'm hoping there's a chance they might be able to do the same with the frame because all the stickers I used cost quite a bit. 

Bit stuck with this cushion cover but I'm only any good at handsewing and even then it's not super strong.

Been chatting with a friend who is also like me, we would love for it to be easier to find cool looking mobility stuff for those of us who are younger, but who also cannot afford the amazing custom chairs and things.

I haven't the business head for it, or I'd raise the money to start a business.
  • Chloe_Scope
    This is certainly needed @TheSnowBear!! I really hope they can swap the frame over as well. :)
    Scope

• TheSnowBear
    Just an update, because it saves starting a new thread when it's not really super important. But I eventually had the new chair delivered, and a week later they took away the old one.

I've only used it a little bit indoors because I'm nervous of it not working again when I'm out.

But I've been using my manual chair happily for a while now, and I'd definitely prefer it where possible. It's the one currently in my avatar.
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Thanks for the update @TheSnowBear

Let us know how you get on with your new chair.  I imagine it will take a little time to build your confidence but you'll get there.  
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Chloe_Scope
    I hope it goes okay @TheSnowBear! :)
    Scope

Brightness