New PIP claim telephone assessment — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

New PIP claim telephone assessment

vinylcountdown
vinylcountdown Community member Posts: 16 Courageous

Hi, this is my first post here, so I hope this makes sense and is in the right place!  I had my telephone assessment with IAS yesterday, it lasted about 1hr 15 mins. It seemed to go ok, in that the assessor asked all the relevant questions, allowed me to answer them and don’t rush me or push for a ‘yes or no’ answer. She asked about my previous medical history with mental health, and I could hear her writing things down, that I certainly felt were relevant, so that felt slightly positive. 
I am aware that just because you think it went ok doesn’t mean anything for the outcome. I have been very anxious since the call, and have been over-thinking everything I said and really worrying. So it’s made me wonder, all the forums I have looked at are full of horror stories of people being awarded 0 points, or being misquoted or worse. Is this because only people who have had bad experiences share them?! (Looking for hope here!) I have ADHD and anxiety/depressive disorder. I sent a review letter in from my Psychiatrist to my GP with the PIP form. It outlines my diagnosis and treatment. 
On the form and on the phone I gave details of how these disorders affect me daily, what I struggle with and why, and how much my (adult) daughter helps me daily, with promoting and assisting me with areas I struggle with. Has anyone had positive award outcomes in similar circumstances? I would almost say the anxiety now, after the assessment is worse than before. Waiting is obviously the only thing I can do now! 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

Yes, you will only every hear the bad stories and vewry rarely the good ones. This is because if someone had a decision they're happy with they have no questions to ask, so we don't hear their story.

Lots of people claim PIP sucessfully, with no problems at all.

It's very easy to start to overthink things and worry about things you did or didn't say. Leave it about a week and then ring DWP to request a copy of the assessment report to be sent to you (if you live in the UK) this will give you some idea what the decision is likely to be because they mostly go with the recommendations in the report.

Waiting times for decisions can be between 2-8 weeks sometimes longer.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • katho31
    katho31 Posts: 692 Pioneering
    Hi @vinylcountdown and welcome  :), i was so nervous when i had my PIP tel consultation, and the lead up to it i couldnt of carried on without this scope forum and the wonderful advice/kind words/and links to useful organisations. i waited around 8/10 days and rang PIP to ask if id been successful, they said my report was still with assessor, i too was very anxious, ill with worry but scope helped and told me to hang in there, a few days later i rang PIP, the man told me i had been successful, i was so pleased and grateful, around a week later my Pip assessment for was sent in post, with all what assessor on phone apt had noted, i got backpay from when i first applied Feb2020 until end of June2020, dont give up hope and i really want you to be successful  :)
  • vinylcountdown
    HI and welcome,

Yes, you will only every hear the bad stories and vewry rarely the good ones. This is because if someone had a decision they're happy with they have no questions to ask, so we don't hear their story.

Lots of people claim PIP sucessfully, with no problems at all.

It's very easy to start to overthink things and worry about things you did or didn't say. Leave it about a week and then ring DWP to request a copy of the assessment report to be sent to you (if you live in the UK) this will give you some idea what the decision is likely to be because they mostly go with the recommendations in the report.

Waiting times for decisions can be between 2-8 weeks sometimes longer.
    Thank you, that’s been helpful! 
  • vinylcountdown
    katho31 said:
    Hi @vinylcountdown and welcome  :), i was so nervous when i had my PIP tel consultation, and the lead up to it i couldnt of carried on without this scope forum and the wonderful advice/kind words/and links to useful organisations. i waited around 8/10 days and rang PIP to ask if id been successful, they said my report was still with assessor, i too was very anxious, ill with worry but scope helped and told me to hang in there, a few days later i rang PIP, the man told me i had been successful, i was so pleased and grateful, around a week later my Pip assessment for was sent in post, with all what assessor on phone apt had noted, i got backpay from when i first applied Feb2020 until end of June2020, dont give up hope and i really want you to be successful  :)
    Thank you. That is reassuring to know! 
    Sometimes looking online at other peoples experiences is a double edged sword...it can be very helpful and reassuring (as you and Poppy have been) or can make you focus on only negative outcomes! The assessor I spoke to was a Paramedic, I asked her if she had experience with MH issues and a ADHD, and she said she had some training on it, and that she had assessed lots of claims from people with ADHD. I didn’t feel entirely confident when she said that, there was a twinge of negative judgement in her voice, which has worried  me ever since. I asked her to confirm she had read my PIP 2 form and she confirmed she had. 
  • katho31
    best wishes and we are here  :) take care and stay safe 
  • vinylcountdown
    I’ve just had a text to say that DWP have received my form and I should hear within 8 weeks. It’s so hard not to try and read into things...that seems like a quick turnaround...is that a bad thing?!
  • katho31
    Hi @vinylcountdown, try not to worry too much, they do say within 8 weeks but many, including myself, heard much earlier, best wishes and good luck  :)
  • poppy123456
    I’ve just had a text to say that DWP have received my form and I should hear within 8 weeks. It’s so hard not to try and read into things...that seems like a quick turnaround...is that a bad thing?!

It doesn't mean anything other than the report has been returned. Some are sent back the day of the assessment.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome to the community, you can request a copy of the report which will give you indication of the points that have been recommended. 

This isn't the final decision but they usually go with the report

Hope it all works out for you 
  • vinylcountdown
  • vinylcountdown
    I called DWP when I got the text to say they had received my assessment. The guy on the phone was very nice and helpful, and said he send the report. I asked if he could give me any information about the report, but he said it hadn’t been looked at yet by a decision maker. He did tell me that he could give me the details of what the assessor had put next to each question. I wrote down what letter had been put next to each answer and after the call applied these to the point scoring grid that has been shared on previous posts on here. It looks like I have been awarded 10 points  for daily living, and none for mobility. So I think that’s the standard rate. I am waiting to receive the report, to see what the explanations are, because I don’t think that is a fair assessment based on my needs, and the evidence I submitted. I understand that it is usual for the DM to award based on the assessors opinion? 

• poppy123456
    You haven't been awarded anything yet because no decision's been made. I wouldn't take the advisers word for it until you see the report for yourself and then add up the recommended points.

Yes they usually go with the report, it's rare for them to go against it but it can and does happen.
  • vinylcountdown
    Thanks, yes I realise bad choice of wording on my part saying ‘awarded’. 
    Looks like some more waiting is in order! 

• cupcake88
    cupcake88 Posts: 1,273 Pioneering
    @vinylcountdown Hello there and welcome I had my telephone accessment recently and just liike you I have heard all the Horror stories but every one on here has been so nice and supportive . My disabilties are mental as well . Im also very much on edge but like my nan says no news is good news . I was on the phone nearly 2 hours it was hard so we all know what your going threw . In my head I always think negative and prepare for the next step in my mind but I have no clue what the out come will be so Im really hopefully I do know that I do need this money to give me back my independance abit and I do deserve it so I will fight for it but hopefully it wont come to that .  . 
  • vinylcountdown
    thankyou @cupcake88, i wish you all the best too
  • Cress
    Cress Community member Posts: 1,012 Pioneering
    Hi and welcome to what iv found to be a very helpful and understanding forum!
    You do hear lots of horror stories so I'll tell of my positive experience with PIP.
    I'd dreaded the changeover for my son from DLA to PIP for years...he has learning difficulties, autisim and epilepsy and I knew that he would refuse any assessment...sure enough the appointment came and he flatly refused to attend...I was on the phone to his social worker crying my eyes out.
    She kindly got in touch with the relevant department and called me back the same day to say that he need not attend an assessment,  somebody may do a home visit instead or may even call.
    On the day a very nice lady spoke with me on the phone and said she didn't think a visit was required as they had enough info already....she asked me a few questions about my son and kept telling me there was no need to apologise as my son was shouting abuse in the background!
    My son was awarded enhanced for both and i was touched by how pleased the person on the phone was who informed me of his award and the fact that he would only need to do a light touch review in ten years! He seemed genuinely delighted for my son.

I've recently applied for PIP for my own mental health issues and that be a totally different story but I'll let you know...lol
    Good luck with everything
  • vinylcountdown

I have received the assessment report in the post this morning. 
    The recommended points are just as the advisor described.
    The assessor has missed out vital information, even missing one of my disorders completely. So I will be asking for that information to be reconsidered once I have officially received the outcome from DWP. 

Thanks for the advice from everyone, it really is so immensely helpful to know there are people out there who support you, and are going through the same thing. 
    I'm also very grateful for the people who have so much experience on here advising people voluntarily because they really do make a big difference to people when they are struggling with applying for help and dealing with the system.

I would like to point out however, that it can be intimidating working up the courage to post on here. I personally really struggle with checking that my spelling is correct and that my words make sense, and that my question will come across as stupid or wrong. and public spaces like this just make me very anxious generally. I know there are lots of people who struggle like I do.
    There have been times when a response, although well-meaning and helpful, has been worded in such a way that I felt corrected, or even told off slightly.
    I would hate to think of vulnerable people being put off from asking for help, and seeking support because they felt belittled by that...or felt somehow worse after posting than they did before, because of a response they received. 

I think people come here to this inclusive forum because they are seeking support from others, and may have some questions they would like to ask of fellow members. obviously some of you guys are experts, which is great, but I don't think the point of this forum is to make someone feel self-conscious about not knowing things, or maybe not wording things exactly as people who are experts do. I am here because I do not know things, not because I do!

Again, thanks for your advice and support everyone. 
  • vinylcountdown
    @Cress thanks for taking the time to respond with a positive story, it really does help to read them! I'm glad your sons claim went well, it sounds like you had a good person wanting the best for your son. I wish you all the luck with your own claim!
  • cupcake88
    cupcake88 Posts: 1,273 Pioneering
    Oh wow that’s quick lol every one seems to be getting there reports quick lol . I bet mines will take ages . Did the report have recommended points on it ? Are you happy with what’s on it ? Yes let us know what happens good luck . 
  • poppy123456
    I'm sorry that you felt that some of the comments came across as being quite rude. I'm sure those that have taken the time to reply didn't mean anything by it.

What we mustn't forget is that it's often very easy to misread a comment and take offence by it, because with text speak it isn't easy to detect the tone that someone is using. I know because i've often made these mistakes myself and then gone back to read the reply again and then thought differently.

We are a friendly comminity and want it to remain that way for everyone that posts.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.