Limited capability and uni — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Limited capability and uni

MissAm
MissAm Community member Posts: 15 Listener
hello I am currently in a refuge for domestic violence I’m applying for both pip and work capability I have the opportunity to go back to do a course although it’s a full time course technically I will only be doing it online and will have no assessments and it will be 95% on zoom I really need my benefits to get my rent allowance ya see as my ex partner is extremely dangerous so supported accommodation would really be needed when finishing my application for the work capability I won’t mention uni until I’m sure I’m doing it as much a I love my safety I want to better myself in education but I need proper safety levels and paying for supported accommodation is difficult has anyone any suggestions on what to do I personally know a few people who work on limited capability and who study and I have 6 different learning and mental disorders which I made clear and have hospital admission evidence etc please if anyone could help ? Thank you 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

Full time students can only claim UC is very certain circumstances. As you're not claiming a disability benefit at the moment then you won't be able to study full time and claim UC. See link.

If you are awarded PIP then you will be able to claim UC. However, if you claim any maintenance loans this will be classed as income for UC, even if you the loan is available to you and you decide not to take it, it will still be classed as income and affect the amount of UC you're entitled to.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome to the community, glad you have joined us

I am sorry to hear about your situation it appears you are being positive and trying to make a better life for yourself

I would concentrate on getting the benefits sorted and suitable housing first and then think about the study, take small steps dint take on too much at a time

I look forward to seeing you around
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @MissAm, I'm glad to hear you are currently safe. If there is anything else we can do to support you then please do let us know.
    Scope

• MissAm
    Thank you poppi yes I understand that I’m not very concerned about how the grant will affect my money but purely just the rent benefit as I need to be in supported accommodation I was told once I got the work and work capability if I am rewarded I will then get the rent benefit element is this true ? As I really need to live in a safe place with adequate security due to the danger of domestic violence so my main question is if I get approved the UC work capability can I then get rent as supported accommodation isn’t cheap please can you help me thank you  
  • MissAm
    Thank you Chloe I really just need to find out how to get my supported accommodation rent covered whilst in study 
  • MissAm
    I also was told that with supported accommodation like what I’ll be living in it’s only the work and work capability component I need is this true sorry to ask so many questions?
  • MissAm
    I’m currently in a solace refuge and will likely be moved to a different borough which is safer and more secure if anyone knows of any other charities or if I can apply for a discretionary rent of the council due to the extremely violent nature of my ex please let me know as me main concern is just getting some rent to keep me in a safe place so I can sleep in peace sorry for the essay i just don’t want to throw away my chance of a future but if he finds me I may not have one at all sorry for all the messages it’s just I have been asking for a work capability form for three months on my journal now and pip have made enormous mistakes regarding my claim to so it’s just not fair I understand covid and all put them under huge pressure but this isn’t about a person simply wanting more money to live I need a safe environment thank you everyone at scope sorry for the rant
  • poppy123456
    If your rent is part of UC then claiming help with that will depend on how much maintenance loan you receive.

If you're not claiming a disability benefit then you won't be able to claim UC at all, which will include help with your rent because it's all part of UC. Claiming Limited capability for work will make no difference here.

Students and benefits really is extremely complicated and expert advice is really needed here.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • MissAm
    Oh okay I see yea I have spoken to many places and the consensus is in supported accommodation u just need work and work related activities my friend is in uni gets pip and gets rent allowance too if u have any numbers of anyone please let me know I’m currently dealing with boost they are great 
  • poppy123456
    The reason your friend is able to claim means tested benefits and continue to be a full time student is because of their PIP award.

Even with a PIP award maintenance loans affect all means tested benefits, including help with rent.

You can try contacting disability rights but i don't know if you'll be able to get an answer on the phone because of the pandemic.

• MissAm
    okay okay thank you very much as far as evidence goes sadly I have a lot so hopefully it works in my favour I’ll call them thank you
  • MissAm
    The likelihood is I please god will get pip  I know have ptsd borderline adhd dyspraxia body dysmorphia and anxiety and depression and Have had about 15 ifs I’ve been told by legal people due to the danger I am that will take precedence over other things thanks everyone ur so sweet 
  • poppy123456
    Please do be aware that PIP isn't awarded based on a diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activity based on the PIP descriptors.

If you're unable to speak to someone at disabilityrights regarding students and benefits then try putting your postcode into this link https://advicelocal.uk/ it will tell you what advice agency is local to you.

• MissAm
    thank you very much is just a bit confusing as I’m getting different advice from different sources I can’t seem to get a straight answer thank you so much 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @MissAm, I appreciate this is a major worry and conflicting information cannot be helped.

To add to what @poppy123456 said, they also have a helpline dedicated to students.

Telephone: 0330 995 0414

Opening hours: 11am-1pm on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

email: students@disabilityrightsuk.org

Our advisors can advise and support disabled people who are studying or wish to study at any level on full-time or part-time education or training courses if

• the course is in England and
    • they are over 16
    Please do let us know how you get on. :)
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.