Pip phone assessment — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip phone assessment

Vic1990
Vic1990 Community member Posts: 20 Courageous
So my husband had his pip phone assessment this morning during which I supported him... I wasn't sure why the assessment took place as due to COVID-19 his claim was extended by 6 months to Feb 2021 so would of thought a face to face assessment would have been more appropriate. But wow it lasted 1 hour 15 mins and I don't know about him but I'm exhausted. He's currently on high rate for both components. My husband has uncontrolled epilepsy, autism, anxiety and depression and undiagnosed mobility issues. The lady was pleasant enough but I felt like she wasn't happy with some of the responses my husband and I gave to the point she repeated the same question 3-4 times to try and extract an alternative answer. She was also baffled as to why my husband is unable to obtain a driving licence (because he's epileptic) or why our vehicle has no adaption (because I as the driver don't require any adaption and at present neither does my husband). I would highly recommend that if you are subject to a phone assessment or one in person that you have someone to support you. My husband would have said anything she wanted him to say had he not had any support. Now it's just a waiting game to see how what was said translates into their points system but trust is not my strong point when it comes to the dwp. 

Comments

• katho31
    katho31 Posts: 692 Pioneering
    Best wishes for you, it does take it out of you and I too needed my hubby or I don't think, well I'm certain I would have given up and ended the call, I did have great help from scope at the time and many posters got me through it 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Vic1990Welcome t the community glad you have joined us and thank you for sharing your experience with us it helps other members going through the same.

It is common for assessors to ask the same thing but in a different way throughout the assessment to make sure they get the information they need

It is a stressful and it is good you were there to support your husband

After approx 7 days or when you get a text to say DWP have your report you can ring them to get a copy sent to you this will give indication of the points recommended. It isnt the final
     decision but the DM usually go with the report

Keep us informed of the outcome
  • Vic1990
    Thank you for advice and support. My husband has had many assessments over the years so it's a difficult process but I understand why it's done (dwp don't want to be paying the wrong amount). The asking the same question multiple times in different ways was very evident but asking the same question expecting a different answer is somewhat underhand. In fact it was a question I answered " does he require help to get food from his plate to mouth"  my reply it varies and why it varies. Its not a yes or no answer not even on the assessment forms but that's that the response she tried hard to get. She also tried to say my husband has a seizure that last 30s, comes round in a few minutes then is back to normal. I was thinking does this woman have any medical background. My husband is still suffering 10 days after having a seizure. The previous assessment he had was at our home and the lady was so lovely so it can be a little hit and miss with assessors. 
  • Paul7210
    Paul7210 Community member Posts: 41 Courageous
    Thanks for sharing @Vic1990 my wife has severe epilepsy with seizures most days, hopefully your husband should continue to get his pip even after Feb 2021, it's sounds to me he has a few medical issues and the lady ringing hadn't a clue. In our case we had a Care Needs assessment from Adult Social Care and they were very helpful to us and saved us alot of stress and anger. I wish you both the best of luck, epilepsy is one of the most difficult and unpredictable conditions to live with, if i can help or pass on anything we've learnt over the years let us know o:)

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Vic1990, have you been able to get a copy of the report? Hope you are well. :)
    Scope

• Vic1990
    Not yet, my husband received a text message today stating they now have the report and a decision will be made within 8 weeks. I haven't had chance to ring to request a copy but I will at some point next week. Thanks for asking, we are all as well as can be expected. Hope you are keeping well too x
  • Vic1990
    @Username_removed.  I know they are just doing a job and following guidelines but unfortunately most disabilities are complex and don't fit into a yes or no system. The system would work so much better if that were to be there understanding. Thank you for your help. 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Fingers crossed @Vic1990! :)
    Scope

• Vic1990
     so we recieved my husbands medical assessment report and this woman loves to copy and paste to the point that the heading had no relevance to the following paragraphs. My husband was diagnosed with asd last year but from a phone assessment she concluded my husband has no issues and needs no support with face to face communication because he had a calm tone.he completed the whole assessment without any support or without taking a break and didn't need the questions repeated but her opening paragraph stated I was there to support him and on 4 occasions she states wife reports this and that showing I answered 90% of the questions. Apparently he can handle his own medication and health condition dispite the fact it states that I dispense his medication and handle all his appointments. He's not at risk during bathing even though he's epileptic. Apparently he stated he could chop and peel which is untrue. And his mental health isn't impacting on his life because he's not under a special (he is) and hasn't seen a mental health nurse for 12 months (his last appointment was nov 2019) and because he hasn't attempted suicide in past 12 months (that's how they rate the level or impact of someone mental health) the end of the report states he should be assessed every 18 months because his condition is likely to improve (well fu#k me mistic Meg he's only had this condition for 24 years with no improvement but 1 hour 15  mins one the phone with her and she cured him) anyway its safe to say my husbands mental health has taken a dive. Now it's a waiting game for dwp decision. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,352 Disability Gamechanger
    Did you add up the recommended points that are in the report? They are not added but should definitely be there somewhere towards the back of the report.

Use the PIP descriptors online to compare them to see what score, if anything is recommended. They usually go with the report, it's rare to go against it, although it can and does happen.

I always find it easier to use the PIP self test, here. https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/personal-independence-payment-pip/pip-self-test

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Vic1990
    Thanks I will try add up his points later, don't think his mobility will change because she agreed with his medical reports that he struggles to walk but I know he's lost points on his care side I think it's was roughly 9 points even though he now has an asd diagnosis which he didn't have before. I'm ready to appeal it if he does lose point but its just not a stress that either of us need, at the moment I'm scared to leave the house to go shopping incase he tries to attempt suicide but I quote his mental health isn't affecting his life. 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm really sorry to hear that @Vic1990. This sounds like a very distressing situation for both you and your husband. Is there any way he could speak to a mental health professional at the moment? Is your GP aware of his situation? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • poppy123456
    You maybe surpised when you add up the points. At first glance of my daughters PIP review last time, it looked like she'd lost points in one of the activities. When i added them up she'd actually scored more than the first time and her award stayed the same at Enhanced for both parts.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Vic1990
    Thanks the website was helpful, unfortunately it means my husbands care has gone from 15 to 9 points but his mobility has gone from 12 to 24. Unfortunately my husbands gp isn't currently available for face to face appointment and sadly my husband has bouts of extreme depression so I've learnt to manage it. When he does access mental health support they normally just offer medication which can't currently be changed due to effects it has on his epilepsy and a waiting list for counselling which is normally 6 sessions in 12 months time. 
  • poppy123456
    You will need to wait until the decision's been made, once it has if you're not happy then you'll need to request the MR.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Fingers crossed for you @Vic1990! Please do let us know how you get on. :)
    Scope

• Vic1990
    Still no pip decision. However I did send a complaint to both pip and capita about the medical assessment report. The response I received from capita was they couldn't alter the mistake within the report because it had been filed with pip and any complaint would be dealt with by way of mandatory reconsideration and that its only the assessors opinion and other information will be used to make a final decision. I questioned the assessors understanding of mental health and asd and their response was all assessors have some form of medical training (nurse, paramedic) and 5 weeks training with them. I'm just annoyed as that report will be used as fact for future assessments when it's a person's opinion that has never met my husband. 
  • poppy123456
    They are correct. A HCP doesn't need to have any understanding about any certain conditions. The onus is on the claimant to make sure they will out their form with as much information as possible because it's your reasponsibility to prove you qualify and not theirs.
  • Vic1990
    We did provide proof of his conditions (his recent diagnosis letter) but the hcp opinion was that he didn't have the condition because he had a calm tone. I understand what your saying that it's our responsibility to provide proof of medical condition but if we have provided written medical diagnosis from a trained professional with a better understanding of the conditions then the hcp, proof of medication, completed questionnaire and pip phone assessment and then the hcp comes to their own conclusions based on opinions not facts then I struggle to see the point in providing such medical proof or evidence and I'm sure any information that is held that isn't factual can be changed?
  • poppy123456
    A diagnosis is very rarely in question because that's not what PIP is all about. I totally understanding how frustrating it is but all you can do is wait for the decision. If you're not happy then you request the MR followed by Tribunal, if the MR decision doesn't change anything.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.