Skin picking at bed time — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Skin picking at bed time

Crumble_Rhubarb
Crumble_Rhubarb Community member Posts: 25 Connected
Hi, I thought I might ask on here.

My child picks at ME at bedtime. And gets very upset every time i say no (multiple times every night) they say it helps them relax and they can't find any other way to sleep. 
Just clarifying they don't have any health issues.

I've had a Google for some type of sensory toy for "skin pickers" that I could try. But I am confused at the range of sensory stuff available and what may help.

Has any one got any experience with skin picking and what can help prohibit the behaviour.

Comments

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Crumble_Rhubarb, just to let you know that I have split this post into two discussions, one about CP and covid19, with this one focused on skin picking. 

Have you tried things like a fidget cube? :)
    Scope

• emmarenshaw
    emmarenshaw Community member Posts: 710 Pioneering
    Welcome to the community @Crumble_Rhubarb

• Chloe_Scope
    Hi @Crumble_Rhubarb, just wanted to check in to see how you were doing. :)
    Scope

• Crumble_Rhubarb
    @Chloe_Scope

Very sorry for the none responce.
    And thank you everyone for welcoming me too.?

It's not been great if am totally honest.

Skin picking is still there but less so- I will be looking into the fidget  cube as its something  they have asked for -a toy to pick as they find it relaxing.

A awful Pip decision and medical assessment letter full of false or incorrect  statements (Not surprising given past experiences with medical assessments). But has affected me. Along with other stuff too child being diagnosed with allergies, personal delay in medical screenings its all just taking its toll on me.

But nothing dreadful  thankfully. 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Hi @Crumble_Rhubarb, sorry to hear things haven't gone very well. The PIP process can be draining, are you planning on appealing it?

I'm glad the fiddle toy has helped a bit. I imagine things have been hard in lockdown. Is your other child getting the support they need? 
    Scope

• Crumble_Rhubarb
    Hi @Chloe_Scope, yeah I am waiting g for a MR decision to be made they said up to 10weeks. I am not hopeful  that will change anything  so will have to appeal no doubt.

I only have one child, but yeah we are both just plodding on waiting on medical appointments and school to reopen in Sept *fingerscrossed*

It's been a very hectic year but that's the same for everyone I suppose.
  • Chloe_Scope
    You are still entitled to find things difficult @Crumble_Rhubarb. I really hope the MR goes in your favour and that medical appointments can start up again.

Please do reach out if you need support and we will try our best to help. :)
    Scope

• Lou67
    Lou67 Community member Posts: 6,612 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi just wanted to wish you well and hope things can settle with your wee one, as for your MR I really hope you’ll be successful, I had applied in February got 6 points for daily living, so no award I received 10 for mobility so got standard I put in my MR after been told many times only a small % I think 16% got changed I received my letter Saturday no change with DL but mobility changed to Enhanced so please don’t give up hope it can happen, I’m going to appeal as I truly believe I should receive at least another 2 points, so good luck and I really hope it goes your way ?
  • Crumble_Rhubarb
    Lou67 said:
    Hi just wanted to wish you well and hope things can settle with your wee one, as for your MR I really hope you’ll be successful, I had applied in February got 6 points for daily living, so no award I received 10 for mobility so got standard I put in my MR after been told many times only a small % I think 16% got changed I received my letter Saturday no change with DL but mobility changed to Enhanced so please don’t give up hope it can happen, I’m going to appeal as I truly believe I should receive at least another 2 points, so good luck and I really hope it goes your way ?
    Thank you, so glad you got some change. I am still waiting for a letter ie the MR I so hope I dont have to appeal.

Regards. 
  • Lou67
    Hi @Crumble_Rhubarb Hi I hope your well, since I last posted to you, I found out the % for change at MR is actually higher than 16% it’s supposed to be over 50% so hopefully yours will be changed, let us know how you get on good luck take care?
  • Crumble_Rhubarb
    @Lou67 that's a lot of wrong intial decisions ?

Thank you for the replies ?. 
  • Lou67
    Aww your welcome, yeah it’s awful and if no change at MR it’s a 75% chance at appeal, you think this would be getting questioned but nothing seems to get done ?‍♀️
  • Crumble_Rhubarb
    It makes you wonder if they're hoping people will accept the decision of no pip- rather than go through the draining process of appeal.
  • Lou67
    Oh definitely does make you think that, and there will be loads of people who just don’t have the strength to go through it, it’s so hard, I went through an appeal in 2018 after getting no points I received standard daily living, which I was delighted with at the time, got just under £5000 backdated then another £5000 back for a premium onto my ESA so was a lot of money. 
  • Crumble_Rhubarb
    Lou67 said:
    Oh definitely does make you think that, and there will be loads of people who just don’t have the strength to go through it, it’s so hard, I went through an appeal in 2018 after getting no points I received standard daily living, which I was delighted with at the time, got just under £5000 backdated then another £5000 back for a premium onto my ESA so was a lot of money. 
    I've just had MR come back saying no change. So been to CAB to start the appeal process, I just want to give up now.?

That's fantastic that your appeal had such a positive outcome for you ?
  • Chloe_Scope
    I'm sorry to hear this @Crumble_Rhubarb! I hope CAB are able to support you. Please do let us know how you get on and if there is anything else we can do to help. :)
    Scope

• Crumble_Rhubarb
    Thanks @Chloe_Scope it's just draining when you are already feeling rubbish-hence the reason people told me I should apply for pip as "I should be entitled"- to then feel like they think your lying about how it. Its just awful. But its not new.

Thanks for your support. :)
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Crumble_Rhubarb How are you today?

The PIP application process can really take it out of you and leave you feeling exhausted and like you want to give up but please keep going.  Take it one day at a time and lean on the support you have from us and Citizens Advice.  I hope you have a lovely bank holiday weekend.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Hi @Crumble_Rhubarb, I imagine this is unbelievably hard. We believe you and I hope you are doing okay today. :)
    Scope

• Crumble_Rhubarb
    @Chloe_Scope hey sorry it's been a very long time since I've been on here. Hope you are keeping well.

I've received very surprising yet positive news today. Following new evidence that I provided they have said I am entitled to some pip. They said they still had to ask if I wanted to continue appealing if I felt I was entitled to more but I am quite happy with actually being believed for once and dont want to push for more. I actually told the person on the phone I was expecting more bad news! ?

Brightness