TC956 form and disability element of WTC — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

TC956 form and disability element of WTC

Coral61
Coral61 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited August 2020 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I joined last week so nice to meet you all.  
I am in desperate need of help and advice in regards to a benefit I was on that has just stopped and I feel like I'm getting nowhere.
Hope someone can point me in the right direction.  Thank you

Comments

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @Coral61. We'll do our best. What's the problem you've been having?
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Coral61
    It's quite long winded and rather complex Adrian but I'll do my best to explain.
    I'm 59 yrs old, work 21 hours a week and have suffered with Fibromygalgia for many years which is getting worse with the chronic pain and fatigue and many other things that goes with it.
    I was on Long Term Incpacity Benefit for roughly 18 years.  I was in an abusive marriage for 22 yrs and in the end got involved with a domestic abuse organisation.  After being with them for approx 2 years they asked me if I'd like to volunteer for a few hours a week.  I checked with the DWP and told it was fine.  Then a few years later back in July 2013 they asked me if I'd like to work with them on a part time basis as they knew I couldn't work full time.  Anyway I notified the Jobcentre that I would like to stop the Incapacity Benefit claim and they told me that I could apply for the disability element of working tax credits and told me what I would be entitled to.  So I sent off for the form which I believe is TC956 and I fitted the 3 criterias of A. Working more than 16 hrs a week. B. I couldn't work an 8 hr day or 5 days a week and C. That I had been in receipt of long term Incap Benefit 182 days before the claim.  There were no other questions on there about my health etc. They said I was entitled to the claim and having been paying me ever since.  Last week I found out that they had stopped my claim and when I rang them they said that it was because DLA had notified them that I wasn't entitled to it any more.  I did explain that I had never claimed DLA  before and wasn't registered as disabled only that I had filled the TC956 form in and had been in receipt of long term Incap Benefits.  
    I've had to do a Mandatory Reconsideration letter and am waiting to hear from them but I'm so worried and stressed which is making my condition much worse.  
  • Adrian_Scope
    Hello @Coral61
    I'm really sorry that I hadn't spotted your reply until now and that no one else has been able to offer advice.

Have you heard any more from the mandatory reconsideration you did? I hope that the issue is now resolved. If not, it may be worth you getting in touch with a Welfare Rights, Citizens Advice or similar organisation to see if they can give you any guidance. You can find what's available in your area here: advicelocal.uk
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Carol61

Good Morning I do hope that you are having a good day??

@steve51
  • Coral61
    Thanks for getting back to me Adrian. It got resolved in the end, took about 6 weeks. Eventually spoke to someone who knew that 7 years ago when I started my part time job was because I was on long term incapacity benefit and was unable to work a full time job. It was a mistake on their behalf and I got reinstated with a back payment from them.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Brilliant news @Coral61! Thanks for the update. :)
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.