Do I need to request an EHCP myself for my 9 year old son who has ADHD? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Do I need to request an EHCP myself for my 9 year old son who has ADHD?

Ayodamiamu11
Ayodamiamu11 Community member Posts: 13 Connected
Hello 
Please  my 9yrs boy is diagnosed with ADHD I don't want to put him on medication but the scool  senco said they can't request for EHCP for him that I should request it by myself  am confused what should I do.
Thanks 
Tagged:

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome,

Having been through the whole EHCP process myself with my dayghter, it will be a lot quicker if the school requests it. Your GP can also request it but doing it this way will be a lot longer.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Ayodamiamu11
    Hi poppy123456,
    Appreciate your reply have asked the senco teacher at the school to request it for him, but said he can't that request it myself through the gp as you said and he will be better with medication, that's why I am worried. 
    Thank you. 
  • poppy123456
    I can't advise on the medication part because we are not medical professionals and can't give that advice. You can certainly ask your GP to refer him but it does take longer.

Did the senco teacher say why they won't refer him?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Ayodamiamu11
    Thanks
    He said the plan is a long process and that it is not guarantee that he will get one 
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Ayodamiamu11

Good Afternoon it’s great to meet you today.

I am one of a team of Community Champion’s here at Scope.

It’s great to see that you have already had some good info from Poppy.

Please let me know if there’s anything else that I can help you with???

@steve51
  • poppy123456
    Thanks
    He said the plan is a long process and that it is not guarantee that he will get one 

From the time the application is made (not the referral) it takes a total of 20 weeks. It's not guaranteed of course but if they do agree the decision will be made at  week 16.

Once you get to 16 weeks and the decision is made, if they decide no then you can appeal if you think it's not correct.

The hardest part is getting the to agree to it. Certainly not a easy process. Some links here that may help you.

• Ayodamiamu11
    Thank you appreciate all. 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2020
    Hi @Ayodamiamu11! Welcome to the community, it's great to have you here :)

It looks like @poppy123456 has already been able to give you some advice and information. As she said, we're not able to provide medical advice, but hopefully you found the links she gave helpful.

You might find this page on SEN support and the EHCP process useful, and I'd also recommend you have a look through the discussions in the Parents and Carers section of the community. For example, you might find this discussion relevant to your situation.

Please do let us know if there's anything else we can help you with! I look forward to seeing you around.

Tori

National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • Ayodamiamu11
    Thank you  Tori

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    No problem at all @Ayodamiamu11. Were you able to find any useful information?

National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • KarenO_Scope
    KarenO_Scope Community member Posts: 24 Courageous
    edited August 2020
    Hello @Ayodamiamu11 and welcome. There is lots of information out there about EHCP and the process and the pages @Tori_Scope has recommended are a great place to start. To access direct support with form filling, and all the steps, your local authority should have a team known as SENDIASS - Special Educational Needs and Disabilities Information Advice and Support Services. You should be able to find their contact details on your local authority's - Local Offer for disabled children. Hope you get some support with the process.
  • Ayodamiamu11
    Thanks very much @KarenO_Scope you all have been very supportive.
  • willow12
    willow12 Community member Posts: 280 Pioneering
    I have 5 year old boy with severe complex needs my sons school helped me apply for a EHCP its took 13 months from start too finish but its been worth it as he has been finally awarded it 
  • Ayodamiamu11
    Thank you @willow12, my son school said they can't apply that I should request it myself,I did and LA Request for report from school again said too busy to provide what LA  want, and assessment was refused due to insufficient  evidence ?
  • KarenO_Scope
    KarenO_Scope Community member Posts: 24 Courageous
    edited September 2020
    @Ayodamiamu11 that's so sad to hear that school suggested you apply for an EHCP and did not support the process by providing evidence. It might be worth speaking with the Senco about when the best time would be to make the request again, so they can support the process. If you need further independent advice there is SENDIASS within your Local Authority or IPSEA  an independent charity that offers advice and support on EHCP. I hope you get the support you need for your son.
  • willow12
    Hi Karen school did support me with all evidence it's just been a long process at first he got knocked bk for a assessment so was going to take them court but they rung and said they've over turned it and finally after 13 months hes been awarded it 
  • willow12
    @Ayodamiamu11 why will school not help you apply for a EHCP ? It was my sons school that helped me it has been a long road and very frustrating for me but its took 13 months start too finish and hes been awarded it just keep pushing the school I would 
  • willow12
    I have 2 lil boys with complex needs my oldest son has downs syndrome and learning problems my boy twin has autism epilepsy a non symmetrical brain 1 of the holes in his brain is slightly bigger than the other he also has hyper mobility and learning problems and sensory issues my 3 year old is getting tested for autism in November and fragile x syndrome 
  • willow12
    Twice now I have went through the EHCP process this time round was harder than the first time 
  • Ayodamiamu11
    Thank you @ KarenO_Scope, that was the word of the Senco , that too busy and provide evidence I have contact the IAS  they are helping me through...

Brightness