No idea how to be disabled... — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

No idea how to be disabled...

The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,341 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "how do you be disabled" There's no right or wrong way to be disabled? You are or you're not.

I've been disabled for many years but i try my hardest not to let it stop me doing the things i want to do. I definitely don't stay in bed because of it. My children were all small when i first became disabled and yes it was hard as i brought them all up alone, with no help from anyone.

I don't think it's your GP or Consultants responsibility to tell you about Scope, they either know about it or they don't. If they don't use the internet much then there's a chance they wouldn't know about it but this is only my opinion.

Have a look around the forum and maybe visit the coffee lounge. People are extremely friendly here.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,341 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm sorry you feel like i judged you. That's certainly not what i did. It's often very easy to misread text speak and read it as the wrong tone, i've done this many times on the community myself. I was just simply stating how i manage my disablity and i wouldn't stay in bed.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @Morphy43, so glad you found us!

I imagine it has been a huge transition for you, with little support.  Do you currently receive any benefits or care? Please do have a look around and get involved. :)

We're a friendly bunch and will be happy to help!
    Scope

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Morphy43

Good My & Welcome to our online community/family.

I am one of a team of Community Champion’s here at Scope.

It’s great to see that you have already meet/had advice from a number of our members.

Please let me know if there’s anything that I can do to help????

@steve51
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Morphy43 - & welcome to this great community. I'm sorry to read about your surgery & how this has subsequently impacted on your life. It does sound like you have had little support from your Drs especially with your ongoing chronic pain. Perhaps this would be worth discussing with your GP to see if they can better help you.
    I'm pleased you found Scope's online community. I 'stumbled' upon this using the internet nearly a year ago, & Chloe was in fact one of the first I met offering her support. I stayed because of this, & the fact I found this such a friendly community.
    There are some things which may help a little as Chloe has queried. An assessment by an Occupational Therapist  may provide you with some aids to try & help you maintain your mobility, if you haven't already requested this.
    If you haven't applied for any benefits, this is also a possibility, & people here can help with any queries you may have about this.
    I see you have a dog; what is it's name? Many of us here are pet lovers, & some people have shared photos of them in our 'virtual' Coffee lounge,' which is also a good place to meet other members of the community. Please see this link: https://community.scope.org.uk/discussion/71496/your-pets-pictures-please-share#latest
    My mischievous kitten, Shadow is there!
    Just to add, as well as looking around at the different sections here on Scope, do chat here any time. :)

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hello @Morphy43! I'm glad you've managed to find your way to Scope's online community after seeing us on a recent documentary. 

Adjusting to life with a disability can be a big transition and it doesn't sound as though you've had much in the way of support. A bunch of things have probably changed about your life over the past few years, but have you found any new interests or ways of continuing old favourites?

As chiarieds mentioned, we're a friendly community and are open to talking about anything and everything. :smile:
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome to the community, it is really a struggle coming to terms with being disabled and lots of us on here have gone through this and come out the other end.

It is a feeling out there that there isnt a ,lot of support and you find you have to fight for everything you are entitled to as well as coming to terms with your own emotions and changed life.

We all have our struggles but we all support each other here and try and offer advice and support.

Brightness