Lots of things I want to do but don’t know where to turn — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Lots of things I want to do but don’t know where to turn

ChelleM
ChelleM Community member Posts: 44 Courageous
Hi everyone, hope you’re all well? I don’t know where to turn so not sure if this is the right place but I’ve wrote on here before. I suffer quite badly with my mental health so have a lot of up/down days but I really want to start really trying to build myself a more positive life. My main passion in life is raising awareness of cerebral palsy and helping people, I’ve made a short film, done a photo shoot and used to blog. I’ve always wanted to do something that raises awareness as a career but don’t know where to start does anyone have any ideas? Also I’d love to set up something for young people who are lonely as I found that a lot of support out there is based on older people. Any help or advice would be amazing! I just feel like my life’s passing me by & I want to feel productive/help people x

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @ChelleM just wanted to say hope you are well and wish you all the best in all you do.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• ChelleM
  • cupcake88
    cupcake88 Posts: 1,273 Pioneering
    @ChelleM hi there nice to meet you what a lovely and positive post . I wish you all the best . I think that’s so nice . I personally suffer with mental illness . And I have dedicated my time to try and raise awareness of how disabled people are treated in the work place .  Just by my own experience I started by writing a letter to my local mp got no where . 

I’m trying to think of other things I can do I was thinking bout starting a petition to raise awareness you could do the same . 

Have you thought bout volunteering for a charity ? To get some experience ?

• ChelleM
    @cupcake88 Thanks so much, that’s lovely of you! It’s great that you’re trying to raise awareness of something that isn’t talked about enough! Yeah a lot of people have mentioned volunteering but I’ve found a lot of places don’t get back in touch over my ideas etc which is disheartening x
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @ChelleM, great to hear from you! I too have CP and enjoy raising awareness about the disability. Here on the community we accept pieces from guest bloggers which is something you might be interested in. :)

I've found a blog can be a really powerful tool and can allow you to find the things in life that you are really passionate about.

If you did want to write for the community then please email community@scope.org.uk
    Scope

• ChelleM
    Hi @Chloe_Scope, thanks for getting in touch! Yeah I’ve followed you on twitter for a while, I’m @See_me_not_cp on there. You do some amazing work x
  • cupcake88
    cupcake88 Posts: 1,273 Pioneering
    Yeh it’s hard when you send emails and no one replies keep Trying hun . Hopefully some one will respond 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @ChelleM and welcome.
    Just to add: while it's not running at the moment, our Scope for Change programme might be worth keeping an eye on if/when it restarts. It's usually a short residential training programme that focuses on giving participants campaigning skills.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • WestHam06
    WestHam06 Community member, Scope Volunteer Posts: 1,396 Pioneering
    Hi @ChelleM,
                          Welcome to the community and its great to have you with us. I really admire your plans and I wish you  the best of luck with them. I am sorry to hear that some volunteering work opportunities appear not to get back to you, that must be very frustrating for you. I am trying to set a similar thing whereby educational settings are educated about disability and how to overcome adversity. It's hard when there appears to be very little opportunities out there but keep going because I believe an opportunity will arise. Best of luck, thank you. 
  • ChelleM
    @Adrian_Scope Ohh that sounds really interesting, I’ll keep an eye out, thanks a lot! 

@WestHam06 Thanks for you comment, it means a lot! How is setting up going for you? Good luck with it all x
  • WestHam06
    WestHam06 Community member, Scope Volunteer Posts: 1,396 Pioneering
    Hi @ChelleM
                           Thank you for your comment, I realty appreciate it. I am in the very early stages of it as currently I am looking at the best way to develop this and this includes researching any charities which may already have a similar programme in place. I feel it is so important, particularly for those students who have disabilities, who may feel left out or different, or if there mental health is being affected due to their disability. Also, there are so many learning opportunities for those who don't live with a disability but can perhaps better understand how adversity, which everyone faces in different ways, can be overcome. I'm very passionate about this and have many ideas in my head (though not necessarily good ones :) ) I just need to find the most appropriate way to do this and I think this may take time. Best of luck with your ventures. Thank you. 
  • ChelleM
    @WestHam06 that all sounds brilliant and you’re right it’s so important, I spent a lot of time feeling alone, different, left out and isolated so I never want anyone to feel the same! 
  • Chloe_Scope
    ChelleM said:
    Hi @Chloe_Scope, thanks for getting in touch! Yeah I’ve followed you on twitter for a while, I’m @See_me_not_cp on there. You do some amazing work x
    Ah that's great! Thank you.

There is a place in this world for everyone's story and it is only by sharing that others feel less alone. I wish you all the best with it and please do let us know what you get up to. :)
    Scope

• ChelleM
    edited August 2020
    Hi again everyone I’ve just up a change petition for better representation for people with disabilities within in the media, it’s something i’m really passionate about if you get a chance could you sign it please [removed by moderator- we do not allow petitions]  :)
  • Chloe_Scope
    Hi @ChelleM, just to let you know that I have had to remove the link due to it going against our guidelines. However, it's great to see something that you are passionate about and I really hope people get behind you. It takes determined people to create change.  <3
    Scope

• alieshia
    alieshia Community member Posts: 73 Courageous
    I thoroughly recommend you start up your blog again its a great place to start!
  • ChelleM
    @alieshia I’d love to, I just always get quite anxious that my writing isn’t good enough x
  • alieshia
    @ChelleM I know that feeling! 
  • alieshia
    @ChelleM I recommend you just go for it, you don't have to share your posts anywhere til you feel better about it but practise certainly helps. I've been sat at my laptop for a while today trying to write a review post and my brain is constantly telling me it won't be good enough but I try to remember that's just my brain saying stupid things it's not the truth.

I just followed you on Twitter  <3
  • ChelleM
    @alieshia we should both stop listening to our brains telling us rubbish & just take the plunge! I’ll follow you back now ❤️

Brightness