ESA/PIP award — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA/PIP award

bluebigboyblue
bluebigboyblue Community member Posts: 13 Listener
hello guys I hope someone can help me with this question my son who is single lives alone and in receipt of Income related Esa and has just been awarded PIP not sure of the rate as he has not had his award letter as yet the question I want to ask revolves around disability premiums or SDP and the question I want to ask is if his award for PIP is from  March 1st would any disability premiums start from this date also thanks in advance guys   

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,348 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2020
    HI,

For the SDP then he'll need a daily living award of PIP and no one must claim Carers allowance or the carers element of Universal Credit for looking after him. If he does have that award the SDP can be claimed by ringing DWP/ESA and asking to fill out the IS10 form over the phone. Yes it can be backdated to the start of the PIP award if he lived alone at that time.

If he's in the Support Group then the other disability premium (Enhanced is automatically paid). There are no other disability premiums available when claiming ESA.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • bluebigboyblue
    Thank you so much Poppy much appreciated he seems to meet the criteria of SDP he is also in the support group! So is he better calling the Dwp/Esa today to fill in the forms and does he have to ask them to backdate the claim to the start of the PIP award or will they already know the details of this 
  • poppy123456
    You're welcome.

He'll need to check what award he has because it has to be daily living part. Yes ask them to backdate it.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • poppy123456
    If he claims housing benefit once he knows exactly what his award is then he'll need to report the changes to the local council. They do usually share information with them but always better to report it as well, just incase they don't report it.
  • bluebigboyblue
    Based on the amount of money that went into his account yesterday Poppy it’s almost certainly daily living part of PIP I would be very surprised if it was the mobility part of pip but he might have received standard care both elements because as you know combined they are only a few pounds short of daily living enhanced care so I suppose I am better waiting for the award letter thanks Poppy x
  • bluebigboyblue
    Just an update Poppy it looks like my sons SDP was automatically applied to his Esa payment today as his Esa was due and instead of his usual £250 ish fortnightly he received £380 ish and a separate payment of £1800 ish which I presume is his SDP back payment that runs alongside his PIP award 
  • poppy123456
    Great news! i'm surprised it was automatically added because this disability premium isn't usually add this way. Saves a phone call :)

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.