PIP allowed, do I receive SDP for ESA? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP allowed, do I receive SDP for ESA?

fieldsofnew
fieldsofnew Community member Posts: 46 Listener
Hi there, if anyone could help? I would appreciate your time. After 16 months I was allowed PIP by tribunal. Standard daily living. 8 points.
Will I be backdated the SDP for ESA which was stopped when PIP was stopped? 
Will my HB return to it's previous rate?
I am single and live alone under 35 which I understand is why these were both effected.
Thank you so much.

I am also wondering about rent to buy schemes for housing if anyone has any information or good/novel/new ideas about this. As I want to pay into my own home, rather than someone else's. For example, I have thought about buying a piece of land with my backpay or looking to partbuy/rent my own home.

Thank you ever so much for your time and consideration, 
S

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,352 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

Great news on the Tribunal win. Yes, you will be able to claim the SDP again once your PIP award is in payment and it will be backdated to the date it stopped, providing all the other qualifying criteria still applied. You will need to ring DWP/ESA to ask to fill out the IS10 form over the phone.

Same applies for your housing benefit, you will need to contact your local council and tell them and the money will also be backdated to the start of your PIP award.

I can't offer any advice on the buy to let though, sorry. My personal opinion is buying your own home is very risky when claiming any benefits.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    I would agree that trying to buy your own home when your income is derived from benefits holds lots of risk factors, as for buying a piece of land with your back pay, most plots of land with planning permission for building a house start at around £70,000 and even more in the south, its usually the most expensive part of the project.
    but welcome to scope @fieldsofnew
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• fieldsofnew
    edited August 2020
    yes I need to get out of this private rent cycle and be positive despite the circumstances and risk ~ think differently and yet be realistic about new possibilities if you see what I mean for my own home 

much love XXX
  • fieldsofnew
    edited August 2020
    Thank you, Poppy  it was deeply emotional when they allowed it.

I did not know that the land purchase was the most expensive, that is something new I have learnt today, thank you woodbine! 
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Rent to buy only applies to working people.  And you can't get a mortgage on benefits either, despite having enough for a deposit.  Plus, you'd lose the housing benefit if you owned your own home.  There's no way to get out of the rental market for us as far as I know.   :(

You will need to get rid of your backpay fairly quickly though, otherwise you'll be penalised for having excess savings through ESA.  More than £6000 in savings and you lose a small amount of ESA each week.  More than £16,000 in savings and you lose the lot.  You do get 12 months grace because of it being backpay, so make sure you've used enough to at least drop below £16k by the end of the 12 months!
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @fieldsofnew and a warm welcome to the community. 

Congratulations on your successful appeal, it must feel like a huge weight off of your shoulders.

It can be very difficult to get a mortgage when your income is from benefits but there are some lenders who take it into consideration. 

With shared ownership properties, you can continue to receive housing benefit for the portion of the house you rent, but you'll need to fund the mortgaged section from your benefits (unless of course you have enough to buy the owned portion outright - usually minimum 25%).
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • fieldsofnew
    edited August 2020
    Yes, well, work is love made visible and much of it is 'phantom' such as mothers, counsellors, helpers. I do permmited work and always hope that I can find better work/income as pip is non means tested. I got my degree in 2018, 2:1 Bsc with the Open University, and another two year qualification nearly completed as of now. (mid-practicals). I have always done what I can, and am rich in life/work experience. That is good to know about esa and backpay thank you so much. 

Yes it does feel amazing and such a relief. I am single and happy that way, so yes I am in a strange category by others standards, do you know which providers do take this into consideration?

Forgive me, but does shared ownership mean living with someone else or just rent/mortgage? Are you able to buy the house and own it fully if you had a novel success or windfall?
    :smiley:
    best wishes . x
  • poppy123456
    Shared owenership is when you have buy/rent the home. You have a mortgage for the part you want to buy (or pay the amount in full, cash) starting from 25% upwards. Then rent the part that you're not buying. Details here. https://www.sharetobuy.com/guides-and-faqs/what-is-shared-ownership/

Extremely difficult to get a mortgage when you're claiming benefits.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • fieldsofnew
    edited August 2020
    Yes I appreciate that and consider it ill-thought out. 

I must stay positive and think outside the box for novel solutions! despite the circumstances! Some Lateral thinking.

The Imagination has the answers ~ all of the better ideas for your life. 

Bless XXXX
  • fieldsofnew
    Thank You for this !
  • fieldsofnew
    Can I just apologise if I sounded rude at all to anyone here. That was not my intention. I just want us all to feel a bit better about things and I am sorry that it comes out a bit short.

It's brought up a lot of stuff and I've had to stand up for myself and use my voice and continue to do so.

Much love to everyone xXx
  • poppy123456
    You haven't been rude at all, please don't worry. Take care :)

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.