PIP Update - Received Award — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP Update - Received Award

depressedmum09
depressedmum09 Community member Posts: 34 Courageous
Hi,
I said I would update you all on PIP. I received my award letter today.

I was awarded sandard rate 11 points for daily living, nothing for mobility. 

The assessor wrote everything regarding my struggles but didnt award me points to correspond it so im going to ask for a mandatory reconsideration.

It states i will receive my back pay on wednesday 12th August and payments will be 4 weeks from that date.

I have been awarded it only until January 2021 but the assesor recommended an award for 18 - 24 months so they went against the assessor on that. 

My timeline to getting to this point: 

Claim started: March 2020.
Telephone assessment: 27th July 2020
Award Letter Decision: 08th August 2020
Backpay due in bank: 12th August 2020.

If I ask for a MD what happens? Do i have to give reasons etc as to why I want it? 

Thanks

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,352 Disability Gamechanger
    Great news on the award, even though you're not happy.

You have 1 month from the date of the decision to request the MR. You should put this in writing stating where and why you think you should have scored those points. The add a couple of real life examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to you.

There's no timescales for the decision but you'll continue to receive the money for your current award while you wait.
    Good luck.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • depressedmum09
    @poppy123456

So do I manually write them a letter and explain this? Xx
  • poppy123456
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2020
    Hi @depressedmum09 -  & thank you for updating us all, tho I'm sorry it wasn't exactly what you expected. When I did a MR, feeling the decision didn't reflect my problems entirely, I just took my time & typed it up, printed it off & signed it. If you do this, remember to put your name & National Insurance number at the top of each page.
    Yes, you should give a reason; I just simply said I would like them to look at the decision again, then as Poppy says, detailed exactly how I had problems. I asked them to look at the mobility component, as I was perfectly happy with a standard award for the daily living component. I knew however, they looked at the whole award again, but, as the mobility component was what I hoped they would look at, I concentrated upon that. It's those real life examples Poppy mentions that are needed. When, why, how is it difficult, & any problems this causes afterwards, if that was applicable at the time of your assessment.
    You wrote, 'The assessor wrote everything regarding my struggles but didnt award me points to correspond it....'
    The assessor does write down what you say, then later writes about their impression. So may I ask, did you get a copy of the assessor's report, which may be useful to work out whether it was what you'd said, or their conclusion?
    Just to add, with your MR you can also ask them to lengthen the time of your award if you feel your problems are ongoing, again saying why.

• cupcake88
    cupcake88 Posts: 1,273 Pioneering
    Hi there I’m so happy for you yay enjoy your back pay and best wishes for mr 
  • depressedmum09
    If I dont require to put any reasoning behind it surely the decision will remain the same?
    The medical assessor has wrote everything in the descriptive box correctly but not selected the points that corresponds with what she says. 

For example:

Engaging with other people:

Claimant is confined to house due to generalised anxiety disorder. Unable to engage with people face to face other than the 3 people who assist her daily and have keys to her home. Clamaint suffers anxiety attacks when needed to leave the house for medical appointments, this causes her a great deal of stress and must take diazepam in order to eventually leave the house. Claimant is only able to leave the house with another person in their private car. She does not leave the home for any other reason. 

Then she awards me:

0 points. 
    Can engage with people unaided. 

Now has she awarded me this because i engage with the 3 people that come to my house and help me daily? They dont come all at once. They take turns to check on me and make sure im ok etc. They all have keys because I cant open the door through pure anxiety of who might be knocking.

• depressedmum09
    @cupcake88
    How are you getting on with yours? Have you heard anything yet? X
  • poppy123456
    If it was me then i'd point that out, then go on and give some anecdotal evidence.
  • cupcake88
    @depressedmum09  hi there how are you ? No I haven’t it took me having to ring up many times to have some one send my report out to me . So I’m waiting to see my report but not final decision my assessment was the same day as yours But it took a bit longer for them to receive my report so hopefully I’ll hear  back sooN enjoy your back pay xx 
  • cupcake88
    Can I just ask a question if you feel like you should of got more and you wish to do the mr will you still continue to be paid pip ? Or will they put that on hold ? 
  • cupcake88
    Thank you for that 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.