Cats Vs Dogs — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Cats Vs Dogs

Chloe_Scope
Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
edited August 2020 in Coffee lounge
Yesterday it was International Cat Day.

But are you a dog or cat person? This is a question that divides the nation, but what is your reasoning behind the superior pet?

Big dark brown dog on the left with a black and white cat sat next to it
Let us know in the comments below and feel free to share pictures to support your argument!
Scope

Comments

• leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    I prefer dogs because they prefer me! That is to say dogs are more social animals and so tend to need interaction whereas cats generally can be more solitary and content to be alone for longer at least. So I like dogs because they seem to need people more than cats and that’s what I want from a pet basically.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
    I like them both. I like dogs as they are very loyal animals and intelligent, but cats are nice creatures, too - I find them entertaining.

That said there is a saying that if you are in need of assistance a dog will fetch help immediately whereas a cat will wait till you’ve been dead for 2 weeks then wonder why its food bowl hasn’t been filled up!
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    edited August 2020
    Dogs. They're just better. It doesn't even need a discussion, but fortunately I have evidence to support my theory.

Cats are always villains and dogs are always heroes.

Sylvester the Cat:
    The malicious Sylvester the Cat about to gruesomely devour Tweety Bird

Tom (of Tom and Jerry) and his gangster cronies:

An image of Tom of Tom and Jerry and fellow cats of dubious origins

Lassie:
    Lassie rescuing an innocent child from a strong river current

Bolt:
    Bolt a superhero dog

Dogs are superior. I rest my case.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Cress
    Cress Community member Posts: 1,012 Pioneering
    Another one for dogs...I may look and smell like something my dog has dug up at times (depressed, not soap shortage) but he never judges...
    Cats on the other hand, SO judgy!
    And they kill for fun...although still cried my eyes out at the death of my 20 year old rag doll cat....
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,338 Disability Gamechanger
    Cats, without any doubts at all. I have a Siamese boy and he's the most loving cat i've ever had. Hates being alone and love attention. I often have a lovely conversation with him. So adroable.

I was bitten by a dog when i was a little girl and have been terrified ever since and will never be the owner of one, thanks but no thanks.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • male45
    male45 Community member Posts: 336 Pioneering
    edited August 2020
    I grew up with dogs as my father was a dog breeder..he bred border collies. My first dog was a beautiful black and white border collie. Over time I had various dogs from labs to kerry blues. Loved them all.
    3 yrs ago my sister asked me to take in a 6 month old kitten. It is pure white and had been named casper. It took him a full month getting used to us and the new house.
    My arms and legs were covered in claw marks and hurt lol.
    In time he became friendly and as I type hes sprawled across my knees.
    I discovered cats are very loyal. They choose their owner or as I've seen on cat sites,  the father or mother..I know that sounds sad  lol.
    But he follows me everywhere. He will not go to anyone only me. He waits outside my bedroom door in the morning for me and gives me whats called love bites which hurt too but never draws blood as theyre really just a wee nip lol.
    So for smartness I like cats their hearing and loyalty and cleanliness  is tops.
    For having a pet to walk out with then its dogs. They're loveable animals and their bark can deter anyone who knocks on the door.
    I've a kerry blue at the moment and both cat and dog get on 95 per cent well ...working on the other 5 per cent.
    Best wishes

Best Wishes 
  • vikingqueen
    vikingqueen Scope Member Posts: 1,410 Disability Gamechanger
       It has to be dogs, we had a whippet that lived to be 17 she grew up with my children and brought nothing but fun and love. I still miss her 10 after she went to sleep :(
       Saying that i don't like cats but they like me...i had to foster my sons 2 for a few months and i learnt that it was their house not mine anymore  :D.. i really missed them when they had to go home.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm torn; my son & daughter-in-law have an adorable little Bedlington terrier (however if I'd ever had a dog, it would have had to have been a whippet), & then a 3 month old kitten was abandoned nearby, which my son & daughter-in-law brought to me....the rest is history. Like male45's Casper, mine followed me around, so I named her Shadow. Her abandoned brother & Mum were also given a home nearby.
    Of course cats win 'by a whisker'. :)
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,338 Disability Gamechanger
    @male45 aww my cat is also pure white, his name is Alfie.... or handsome boy, baby, he answers to them all lol. We've had him since he was 7 weeks and his name before we had him was also Casper.

He follows me everywhere too and sleeps next to me on my bed... well, actually he has more than half the bed lol. He's an indoor cat, part human at times too.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Cats win paws down! Without cats we wouldn't have had some of the greatest memes on the internet.  I give you grumpy cat:

Picture of grumpy cat looking less than impressed
    and Smudge the cat: 

Photo of cat sat a table with a dinner plate with an angry look on its face
    Cats make you work hard for their affection so when you get that purr or them sitting on your knee, its an honour!
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • leeCal
    Hmm, cats may be wonderful creatures but you never hear of a mountain rescue cat do you?! 

(Tongue in cheek)

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Cher_Alumni
    I give you Gary - the Mountain hiking (if not rescuing) cat >> link to external website mymodernmet.com about Gary 

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • leeCal
    edited August 2020
    Some years ago now we had a cat and for some reason we wanted to move about six miles away. We moved six miles but our cat moved twelve. Basically when we got to our destination the cat went missing. After a week or so my mum phoned our old neighbour to ask if it had turned up there. “Oh yes” the neighbour replied, “it’s been here for a week.” The reason turned out be salmon, unbeknown to us our neighbour had been feeding our cat salmon! We never saw it again. ☹️

The experience of this has never ever left me though. ?

― Dalai Lama XIV

• Cher_Alumni
    Aww that made me giggle :D It's so sad you never saw the cat again, but salmon... !! It knew it was onto a good thing.

We are looking to move house in the near future and I have visions of one of my three cats doing the same.

• leeCal
    edited August 2020
    If i had a cat this big I might not want a dog! (Maine **** type)

― Dalai Lama XIV

• Cher_Alumni
    Blimey!! Those cats are huge and how beautiful is that fur <3  

Yep, no need to get a dog when you can have one of those!  

• male45
    male45 Community member Posts: 336 Pioneering
    @male45 aww my cat is also pure white, his name is Alfie.... or handsome boy, baby, he answers to them all lol. We've had him since he was 7 weeks and his name before we had him was also Casper.

He follows me everywhere too and sleeps next to me on my bed... well, actually he has more than half the bed lol. He's an indoor cat, part human at times too.
    Aww lol they are very loyal animals. Like yours mine Jones onto my bed and sleeps almost on top of me to make me move over..when he wants fed his little claw just picks on my lip he knows how to waken me fast.
    What made you rename him
    Maybe they're cousins eh lol
    There is a hoise a few streets from me and the lady has a number of cats 4 are pure white..unlike my cat they're not house cats.
    I see a photo further down of a lady holding a massive cat or is that a cat or mountain lion lol..how on earth you could cope o dont know. 
    Poppy does your cat growl when door knocks? Mine does..wonder if possible to teach them to bark...

Best Wishes 

Brightness