Face Coverings in Northern Ireland Shops — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Face Coverings in Northern Ireland Shops

male45
male45 Community member Posts: 336 Pioneering
edited August 2020 in Coffee lounge
hi everyone.. 
Face coverings from today August 10th have become mandatory in shops here in Northern Ireland.
II am exempt but  I wear one and always will and recommend one be worn to help everyone.
Is the anyone from NI in the community who feels they don't want to wear one whether exempt or not?
And same question to everyone in the rest of the UK please. 
I dont want members falling out with each othwr over my question. Its just a question ok ? 
Best Wishes 

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    I hate the things and frankly don't fully understand why we need them now when we didn't at the height of the pandemic, that said I wear one when I have to i.e in shops and on public transport.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
    I didn’t like it at first, the first shopping trip was really difficult, second/third/fourth quite difficult still but now I am used to it and OK with wearing it.

I am exempt from wearing it too but apparently you get a lot of strange looks and comments if you don’t wear one. I just wear it to blend in to be honest!
  • male45
    woodbine said:
    I hate the things and frankly don't fully understand why we need them now when we didn't at the height of the pandemic, that said I wear one when I have to i.e in shops and on public transport.
    I too hate them hate the feel of something  covering my mouth especially in the heat of the day.
    I was a bus driver so I appreciate that you wear one on public transport  thank you for that. 
    I dont understand  why atbthe height of the first wave we didn't have to, all I can guess is that medical advice wasn't equipped to give us the instructions back then.
    I hope that in time things get back to normal and these things disappear altogether. 
    I was in shops in town today and I saw a lot of people not wearing them and shops not telling them to or calling for help. 
    I also don't agree that shop workers don't have to wear them because they too are members of the public out if work.
    Rant over...
    Best wishes
    Best Wishes 
  • male45
    66Mustang said:
    I didn’t like it at first, the first shopping trip was really difficult, second/third/fourth quite difficult still but now I am used to it and OK with wearing it.

I am exempt from wearing it too but apparently you get a lot of strange looks and comments if you don’t wear one. I just wear it to blend in to be honest!
    Hi how are you and thanks for replying.
    I get where you're coming from.i like fresh air and masks prevent that for me.
    I lip read and have to ask ppl to lower their masks so I can lip read many wont and I cant make them. I got a card sent to me by a deaf charity funnily enough from England and it states on it..." I'm deaf.. I lip read and and I'm exempt from wearing face coverings"
    So now I will carry that out with me and hopefully it will help.
    I haven't heard of anyone being abused for wearing one or not wearing...yet.
    Best wishes.
    Best Wishes 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,358 Disability Gamechanger
    I wear one but hate them! Never felt so much anxiety in many years. Don't understand why we need to wear them now after months without them.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • male45
    I wear one but hate them! Never felt so much anxiety in many years. Don't understand why we need to wear them now after months without them.
    Hi poppy.
    I think likenyou. People are confused and feel whats the use now. 
    I've 5 grandsons two are 2 Yr old twins we haven't seen since March id hope that if they are ever taken out good people like yourself and others wear a mask and help others keep well as well as yourself. 
    Thats one reason I wear one. Second reason is I had to visit my brother in law in hospital last week and seeing how he is and others I decided I dont want to end up in a hospital bed or worse.
    So thank you for wearing one even though you don't like to.
    Best wishes
    Best Wishes 
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
    I believe the mask is not to protect the wearer - it won’t keep you safe. The reason for a mask is to prevent the wearer from spreading anything to others.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    66Mustang said:
    This is really interesting and my daughter is very similar. She really struggles with the feel of them and feeling constricted and is exempt but she worries too much about the attention if she doesn't wear one, so forces herself to so that she 'blends in'. 
    It's had the unfortunate effect that she just wants to go out even less than before. 
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness