Fit note — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Fit note

Luna51
Luna51 Community member Posts: 283 Pioneering
edited August 2020 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hello everyone ☺ 

Can I ask for opinions please.

I have been told to claim UC for my daughter who is 21 and has a rare condition, she has numerous issues - she's partially sighted, has left sided hemiplegia, learning difficulties and also epilepsy. I am struggling to know what to ask the GP to write on the fit note as the reason for her inability to work. It seems silly now I've written all of this, but any advice would be much appreciated as I am really unsure, can you have multiple reasons and are they valid reasons in the eyes of the DWP? Does the GP lead with what to write?
Thank you so much in advance

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,352 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2020
    HI and welcome,

Yes you can have multiple reasons. I'd advise you to speak to her GP regarding this because it's up to them what they write on the fit note.

Remember the fit note doesn't determine her ability to work, the work capability assessment is for that.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Luna51
    Hi Poppy 

Thank you for your reply, that's really helpful, thank you, may I also ask - are decisions ever paper based regarding a WCA, or am I right in assuming all clients are called in for an assessment?
    I'm only asking because if it is face to face regardless, I won't send in mountains of paperwork - or should I?
    Thank you once again

Lisa
  • poppy123456
    You're welcome,

Most have the assessment but a paper based one is definitely possible because i've had 2 in the past. Face to face assessments are cureently suspended anyway so if an assessment is needed it will either be a phone one or they will wait until face to face ones are back on.

Regardless of that, sending in huge amounts of evidence is not really helpful because they most likely won't read huge amounts. Less is often more. Read through all the evidence and choose which to send. If it doesn't state how she's affected by her conditions then think twice about sending it.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    and just to add to @poppy123456 's sage advice - welcome to the Scope online community :) If ever we can help you with anything or you just fancy a chat, we are here!

Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Luna51
    Thank you again Poppy, that's really helpful to know. 
    And thank you Cher for your kind words.
    What a lovely welcome! ☺ 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Luna51 Welcome to the community from me too and hope your daughters claim is going well.

Does your daughter claim PIP at all ?

• Luna51
    Hi  janer1967 ? 

Yes, she does, she has high rate PIP for both daily living and mobility. We also had a early review letter at the beginning of August telling us that her next review won't be until 2030, which was a huge relief (and rather unexpected!) I was first told to apply for UC by the finance officer dealing with her Direct Payments, so here we are, at the beginning of the process.. 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Ok good she gets PIP  and good luck with the UC claim 
  • Luna51
  • poppy123456
    May i ask if your daughter is a student? If so does she receive a student loan at all?
  • Luna51
    Hi Poppy123456

No, she's never had anything other than PIP. 
    She finished education in June (her EHCP ended then too) and she's now been approved for funding by the local council (with a direct payment) to go on to a course for for 3 days a week, to improve independent skills in the community (from this September)

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.